First Attempt At Micarta Catapult

Had a go at making a micarta catapult....didnt look too difficult :hmm:

Made a small jig from ply....

And instead of using denim...i used some camouflage material.

Not too happy with the finish.

Was just playing with ideas really.... didnt take much time on this....which shows...

But just wanted to see if i could do it...

The catty is a little too thin...but easily rectified next time by using more layers of material.

Any tips for a better finish next time?

20130623_161000_zps0c1c9a77.jpg

20130624_105215_zps4a52bcc7.jpg

20130624_110029_zps44fbc57c.jpg

20130624_112958_zps1f308790.jpg

20130625_144554_zps23afe028.jpg

Guest long-tail

catapult making seems to have lost that traditional touch for me when i see some of these things you lads are knocking up,not saying they arnt suitable but going out and sourcing and cutting your own is what its really all about,just a personel opinion obviously :thumbs:

Guest scramble

could you not add a few more layers of resin? do what you've done but before the last coat drys add more, giving you more resin to play with when sanding going up the grits to get a smoother finish???

Guest long-tail

im not knocking you mate like i say personel preference,send my lad out with a decent knife he will come home with a catapult fork,no need for the can i use the jigsaw dad :D:thumbs:

catapult making seems to have lost that traditional touch for me when i see some of these things you lads are knocking up,not saying they arnt suitable but going out and sourcing and cutting your own is what its really all about,just a personel opinion obviously :thumbs:

BPR`s advocates using a natural fork as a first catty before buying or making a board cut one, obviously theres alot more work and commitment into making a board cut than a natural fork, once youve found the fork and dried it out theres little else to do, wheras a a boardcut catty is being made from scratch and takes more time and imagination something to be more proud of in my honest opinion

• Like 1

Horses for courses mate....

A natural can be as difficult as you make it.... or shoot it with the bark on :yes:

Boardcuts can be shot as soon as theyve been cut...aslong as the 'band edge' is smooth....

Sanding it all over to 'ultimate' smoothness is only for aesthetic purposes :thumbs:

Some people like making different things....

I just like making shiit alternatives :laugh:

• Like 2
Guest long-tail

BPR`s advocates using a natural fork as a first catty before buying or making a board cut one, obviously theres alot more work and commitment into making a board cut than a natural fork, once youve found the fork and dried it out theres little else to do, wheras a a boardcut catty is being made from scratch and takes more time and imagination something to be more proud of in my honest opinion

Horses for courses mate....

A natural can be as difficult as you make it.... or shoot it with the bark on :yes:

Boardcuts can be shot as soon as theyve been cut...aslong as the 'band edge' is smooth....

Sanding it all over to 'ultimate' smoothness is only for aesthetic purposes :thumbs:

Some people like making different things....

I just like making shiit alternatives :laugh:

bang on matey :thumbs:

could you not add a few more layers of resin? do what you've done but before the last coat drys add more, giving you more resin to play with when sanding going up the grits to get a smoother finish???

Not sure if that would work... i think the resin would just crack...

The outer edges...where only the resin was....cracked when touched....

I think the material acts as the fibre for bonding and strengthening....

Wont be making another anyway :laugh:

Just something else i can say 'ive tried'....along with the pipe catapult...and spatula catty :thumbs: