Tying Off One End?

B.P.R

Guest scramble

i cant see a problem with adding an extra peg or a pole to keep the bottom line tight over rough ground. We use traditional nets with poles placed where they're needed, be it over humps or into shallow recesses. As long as you divide the slack either side of a peg you'll still have a net with 100% slack between each pole/peg. If the ground was full of ruts i'd opt for a leaded bottom line, i've got an old 100 yard net with a 3mm leaded bottom line. its heavy but if the ground warrants it i'l use it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The longnetting section...got to be the most informative section...civilised without the arguments

Real interesting replies,.. Tell ya what,..even in late June,..all this rabbiting chat, has made me long for the Autumn/Winter,...it is fecking criminal realy,.wishing my life away,..but,..I'm sure

it does that to you only yesterday i got a text from mr wilks and all it said was BRING ON THE SEASON.. lets face it we a ll long for the arse end of the year

There is one drop I used to do that had deep tractor ruts in the gateway, and the first drop I done there I lost quite a few rabbits. The ruts were about 18" deep so the next time I done the drop I placed a purse net to cover the gap. It sort of worked as it caught the first rabbit but the others just went through the gap after it. Mixi hit the farm then and I have never been back there. If I do ever go back I will cut some holly and fill the tracks.

TC

• Like 1

There is one drop I used to do that had deep tractor ruts in the gateway, and the first drop I done there I lost quite a few rabbits. The ruts were about 18" deep so the next time I done the drop I placed a purse net to cover the gap. It sort of worked as it caught the first rabbit but the others just went through the gap after it. Mixi hit the farm then and I have never been back there. If I do ever go back I will cut some holly and fill the tracks.

TC

i think you should try it with slack ish running line between the ruts one time at least, doesnt have to be a leaded line as phil use's but if the winds not lifting roof tiles your line will sit. dont dismiss it as you are one of the ones that get longnetting and should at least try it. it will be easier than cutting holly and filling the tracks.

there 3 of us that do it differently, 1 has a line not tied to the peg bottoms another has it tied but slack and 1 pins it with a ten peg. all will be less effort than cutting holly. and if you block a rabbit run it might turn and come back from the way it came and you would be better to leave the purse net to catch the first rabbit imo but even that would still be extra effort..

go on try it..

• Like 1

Real interesting replies,.. :clapper:

Tell ya what,..even in late June,..all this rabbiting chat, has made me long for the Autumn/Winter,...it is fecking criminal realy,.wishing my life away,..but,..I'm sure all the ferreters/mouchers, out there,. get my drift... :thumbs:

• Like 4

Real interesting replies,.. :clapper:

Tell ya what,..even in late June,..all this rabbiting chat, has made me long for the Autumn/Winter,...it is fecking criminal realy,.wishing my life away,..but,..I'm sure all the ferreters/mouchers, out there,. get my drift... :thumbs:

it does that to you :laugh: only yesterday i got a text from mr wilks and all it said was BRING ON THE SEASON.. lets face it we a ll long for the arse end of the year

• Like 2

17-2-13067_zpsa8852fe3.jpg

this is one of the slopes we do with preset nets, ferreting and a dog pushing the rabbits into the net.

if you look at the far right bottom of the net you will see one of the yellow tent pegs.

and the rabbit hitting the net no problem.

that fancy hat on the fence isnt mine its Lifelongcumbrian,

at the top you will see spare fibreglass poles, which are used as well as the pegs.

Edited by Country Joe
  • Like 2

Yet another really interesting thread in this section.

As Chalky says, it makes you long for the long winter nights.

Funnily enough, I took the little dog for a stroll earlier and have found a lovely little spot for a drop... even now, if the weather was right I'd be tempted....

Anyway, back on topic, if it's not a silly Q, why not just put an extra pin in where the rut is? Worst that can happen is the first rabbit runs straight into the pin....

Just a thought; I'm no expert on the 'webs' but I've done a bit...

Anyway, back on topic, if it's not a silly Q, why not just put an extra pin in where the rut is? Worst that can happen is the first rabbit runs straight into the pin....

early on in this topic i posted about rabbits running up the tracks left by the landrover it could also be tractor, you could in my mind peg if you wished but i would be looking to put the peg in the wall of the rut close to the bottom IF i could so not to obstruct the rabbit on its dash for safety.. but i prefer a slack line because if a rabbit is caught chances are its to one side of the beg as you dont have loads of room. in the ruts probably a tractor tyre size at best.

if its close to the peg and a second one hits the net there is no bagging to pull across from one side as it got a peg that is basically fixing it so all the bagging as to slide from the other side... after the second one a third one jogs along bagging is going to be a little more scarce i would have thought. although you could still have the next peg 5 yds out but it all has to pull all the way across the 5 yds..

then you got rabbits blocking the run..might as well have a peg in there for good measure :laugh::laugh::laugh:

its still going to catch and hold im sure peg or no peg..