A Good Starter Rifle

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are 'ok' but the co2 will get annoying having to buy refils and only getting an limited number of shots, they also get affected by cold weather   Better off getting a springer so the only runni

About £150 for a new one, the HW would be second hand but they will last forever if looked after

hatsan probably not the best then, smk do nice light junior rifles i would definitely only be looking at a junior rifle if he is only 7, the smk xs12 is light, compact, cheap and low powered, enough f

He needs a rifle he can practically use. Most 7 year olds aren't big lads yet, so he'll need a small rifle he can manage. And it depends how much you want to spend.

The Weihrauch HW25 is a real child's starter rifle. It's not a hunter. But it's a small, compact little spring rifle he can get used to cocking, loading and shooting at paper targets in the back garden or on your permission.

If you want to move up a further into a rifle you can train him well with and ultimately hunt vermin with, I'd look at a Weihrauch HW95. Fantastic rifle he can grow with and use all his life; it will last him a lifetime if it's looked after! Superb rifle in every respect. Fabulous fully-adjustable trigger and powerful for hunting, accurate as you can shoot to. A great rifle and not so big and heavy as to be unmanageable for him. But you will need to cock it and load it for him. The spring is very powerful and the barrel will easily slip from an unwary youngsters hand.

Or maybe an SMK Supergrade break barrel rifle. The SMK is a cheap copy of the Weihrauch HW95. Looks like it but the SMK trigger is not all that great. Pretty accurate though. These are small compact air rifles with full power.

There are plenty of second hand bargains about in these guns too.

Best wishes.

Simon

• Like 1

I just got my 8 year old a crossman raven as they are a small junior rifle, he is only a small lad so this fit him well, it was £90 new with a £30 second hand scope and mount, I jjust wanted to get him used to cocking it and drill safety into him at a young age, my only gripe was it has a very hard trigger for a young lad but they addapt at that age and he is now hitting 10p size targets at 20 yards.

Pianomans advice is good though, its more about the fit of the gun at his age, not the power.

The Meteor is still an adult rifle, I thought of the Meteor for my lad but when I found one he was too small to shoulder it, I thought about shortening the stock but didn't want to butcher it.

I have an old BSA Cadet which fit him but it needs a new conrod, piston and seals but these are rarer than hens teeth so I just took him to the gunsmiths and let him try a few.

• Like 1

I just got my 8 year old a crossman raven as they are a small junior rifle, he is only a small lad so this fit him well, it was £90 new with a £30 second hand scope and mount, I jjust wanted to get him used to cocking it and drill safety into him at a young age, my only gripe was it has a very hard trigger for a young lad but they addapt at that age and he is now hitting 10p size targets at 20 yards.

Pianomans advice is good though, its more about the fit of the gun at his age, not the power.

the raven is spot on i think my nephew has one and i use it too not a bad bit of kit for the money

Maybe the way forward now, tomas87, is to list all the guns recommended here, google them for details, specifications and prices; and go out and find them in the shops to try him with them for size ???