Squirrel Damage!

They strip the bark from lime and elm trees to use for making dreys, it comes away in long strands and its a perfect material.

I trapped some squirrels out of a loft a year or two since, they had chewed every piece of timber down to the plaster board, it cost the customers insurance 10K to replace the roof.

They strip the bark from lime and elm trees to use for making dreys, it comes away in long strands and its a perfect material.

I trapped some squirrels out of a loft a year or two since, they had chewed every piece of timber down to the plaster board, it cost the customers insurance 10K to replace the roof.

when this woman at work had them in her loft they did quite a bit of damage she got rentokill out to sort it and paid a lot for their services..

she was gutted when she found out I had an air rifle :laugh:

• Like 1

They predate small birds, too. A couple of years ago my son and I watched a grey squirrel catch and kill an adult sparrow. It was shortly after it had fledged its young and in a hedge a couple of yards from our back door, so we had a completely clear view of the hunt and the kill. It went in, came out with the bird in its mouth, alive, then killed it within a couple of feet of us. We've not had sparrows there since.

A few months later, it also discovered, in the fruit cage at the bottom of the garden, a taste for raspberries. At this point it discovered how accurate my S510 is at 25m and within the space of a few ensuing days, so did three of its relatives.

Edited by splitcane
  • Like 3

We have an example of this two gardens down from us: white, dead wood showing all over a large, mature lime. I'll try to get a photo when the light's right, although it may not show sufficiently well in a snap.

The drey to whose occupants I attended a couple of years ago, and which is only 30 yards or so from the lime, was re-occupied this breeding season. Over the winter, almost every thin twig, and certainly all the new ones, were stripped. The previous owners used to take their own anti-squirrel action when they had little visitors and as a result their tree was pretty much untouched (although I'm not quite sure what they did. They certainly didn't shoot them). The new one allows them free rein. Unfortunately I've not been able to get round to doing anything myself yet, mainly because I really don't want to upset our other neighbours. The drey is in a garden that backs directly onto theirs. I'll have to soon, though. Our raspberries are ripening. Peanut butter on the shopping list again.....

We have an example of this two gardens down from us: white, dead wood showing all over a large, mature lime. I'll try to get a photo when the light's right, although it may not show sufficiently well in a snap.

The drey to whose occupants I attended a couple of years ago, and which is only 30 yards or so from the lime, was re-occupied this breeding season. Over the winter, almost every thin twig, and certainly all the new ones, were stripped. The previous owners used to take their own anti-squirrel action when they had little visitors and as a result their tree was pretty much untouched (although I'm not quite sure what they did. They certainly didn't shoot them). The new one allows them free rein. Unfortunately I've not been able to get round to doing anything myself yet, mainly because I really don't want to upset our other neighbours. The drey is in a garden that backs directly onto theirs. I'll have to soon, though. Our raspberries are ripening. Peanut butter on the shopping list again.....

If shooting isn't an option then get an Elgeeco squirrel cage. Mount it on a fence or at the base of a tree and you will soon have them sorted.

If shooting isn't an option then get an Elgeeco squirrel cage. Mount it on a fence or at the base of a tree and you will soon have them sorted.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd only then have to shoot them anyway (it being illegal to release trapped greys into the wild, of course). The combination of both a very visible static trap and the gun in the garden would probably create worse problems than a simple, quiet, shot from inside the house. Shooting over bait is the best way (as previously demonstrated!). The moment has to be very carefully chosen, though.

beech mast :hmm:

The fruit of the beech tree is known as beechnuts or mast and is found in small burrs that drop from the tree in autumn. It is small, roughly triangular and edible, with a bitter, astringent taste. They have a high enough fat content that they can be pressed for edible oil. Fresh from the tree, beech leaves are a fine salad vegetable, as sweet as a mild cabbage though much softer in texture.[10] The young leaves can be steeped in gin for several weeks, the liquor strained off and sweetened to give a light green/yellow liqueur called beechleaf noyau. :boogy: :boogy:

The fruit of the beech tree is known as [/size]beechnuts or [/size]mast and is found in small burrs that drop from the tree in autumn. It is small, roughly triangular and edible, with a bitter, astringent taste. They have a high enough fat content that they can be pressed for edible oil. Fresh from the tree, beech leaves are a fine salad vegetable, as sweet as a mild [/size]cabbage though much softer in texture.[/size][10] The young leaves can be steeped in gin for several weeks, the liquor strained off and sweetened to give a light green/yellow liqueur called beechleaf noyau. :boogy:[/size] :boogy:[/size] [/size]

Lol. Thanks for that ainsley.

Where did that come from? Or was it just your recepie of the day.

The fruit of the beech tree is known as [/size]beechnuts or [/size]mast and is found in small burrs that drop from the tree in autumn. It is small, roughly triangular and edible, with a bitter, astringent taste. They have a high enough fat content that they can be pressed for edible oil. Fresh from the tree, beech leaves are a fine salad vegetable, as sweet as a mild [/size]cabbage though much softer in texture.[/size][10] The young leaves can be steeped in gin for several weeks, the liquor strained off and sweetened to give a light green/yellow liqueur called beechleaf noyau. :boogy:[/size] :boogy:[/size] [/size]

Lol. Thanks for that ainsley.

Where did that come from? Or was it just your recepie of the day.

stuff the recipes it was this bit that interested me the most :laugh::laugh: