A Good Air Gun For Hunting ?

a multishot pcp would be the best for hunting, however can be very expensive.

for about 200-300 you could get a top quality used springer with a decent scope.

after plenty of practice you should have learnt how to shoot it properly and as long as its pushing out over 10 ft lbs will be fine for hunting if you can group ever shot consistently under a 2p sized target at your chosen range.

good guns to look out for cheap , up to £300 , would be

HW 95 80

air arms tx200

then maybe up to about £350 for a good condition

HW97 or 77

or aa pro sport

And if you want something beautiful quiet short hunter buy my bsa r10 .22

Lol.

You will find a reasonable pre charged for £300 upwards.

All depends on condition and accessories that come with it.

A springer is a good choice. Once fettled or in some cases straight out if the box. You are ready to go. Tin of pellets and your away.

A pre charged you have a bit more gear to buy and maintain. Dive bottle and test. Plus I seem to go through more pellets with a pre charged than I did with a springer.

Hi roosika. I get the impression you are a bit of a beginner here?

Okay mate. In addition to the good advices above. A place to start is how much do you really want to spend? Because that is going to determine what you'll end up with. You will need to spend your budget on both a decent rifle and a decent scope.

While you figure out your budget, here's a few Gospel honest truths to be going on with your considerations.

1. A quality spring rifle from Weihrauch, Air Arms and Diana is every bit as accurate as the most expensive PCPs and a lot less cost. Regardless of calibre. Without the need for extra kit.

2. Avoid cheap air rifles and cheap ammo. It just won't work out. They are a false economy. Cheap gear costs do not mean, or equal top quality at a lower price. You'll end up buying again! So buy wisely.

3. There is no ideal single calibre for hunting. All available air rifle pellet calibres, that is .177. .20 .22. .25 will kill a small animal like a rat to a rabbit at some decent ranges. You need to try all to find what suits you best. Not always possible but, try all you can. This is time well spent.

4. Shooting an air rifle accurately demands disciplined practice; honing your marksmanship till you can surely hit a 2p size target comfortably up to your best ranges before you should open fire on live quarry. Wounding is an unacceptable cruelty. Be fair and sporting at all times. These creatures deserve a bit of respect. The other side is you will hunt all day to dusk and not hit a sausage!

5. Visit all the gunshops you can reach and try as many rifles with as many different action types (PCPs. Spring and Gas-Ram) as you can. Don't be tempted with the first thing you see. Try before you buy is good advice.

If I was in your boots, I would seriously consider the spring rifle suggestions the lads have offered. You can get an absolute cracker 2nd hand without spending a fortune. I won't shoot or hunt with anything else. You just need your cammo jacket, T-shirt and pants, a decent pair of boots. A cap or hat, your rifle, scope and a tin of pellets and your good to go with unlimited shots. You will learn far more and quickly shooting a good springer than a cheapo PCP will show you...when it doesn't need a lot of visits to the gunsmiths to have it repaired.

Hope this helps you step in the right direction.

Simon

• Like 6

`

Hi roosika. I get the impression you are a bit of a beginner here?

Okay mate. In addition to the good advices above. A place to start is how much do you really want to spend? Because that is going to determine what you'll end up with. You will need to spend your budget on both a decent rifle and a decent scope.

While you figure out your budget, here's a few Gospel honest truths to be going on with your considerations.

1. A quality spring rifle from Weihrauch, Air Arms and Diana is every bit as accurate as the most expensive PCPs and a lot less cost. Regardless of calibre. Without the need for extra kit.

2. Avoid cheap air rifles and cheap ammo. It just won't work out. They are a false economy. Cheap gear costs do not mean, or equal top quality at a lower price. You'll end up buying again! So buy wisely.

3. There is no ideal single calibre for hunting. All available air rifle pellet calibres, that is .177. .20 .22. .25 will kill a small animal like a rat to a rabbit at some decent ranges. You need to try all to find what suits you best. Not always possible but, try all you can. This is time well spent.

4. Shooting an air rifle accurately demands disciplined practice; honing your marksmanship till you can surely hit a 2p size target comfortably up to your best ranges before you should open fire on live quarry. Wounding is an unacceptable cruelty. Be fair and sporting at all times. These creatures deserve a bit of respect. The other side is you will hunt all day to dusk and not hit a sausage!

5. Visit all the gunshops you can reach and try as many rifles with as many different action types (PCPs. Spring and Gas-Ram) as you can. Don't be tempted with the first thing you see. Try before you buy is good advice.

If I was in your boots, I would seriously consider the spring rifle suggestions the lads have offered. You can get an absolute cracker 2nd hand without spending a fortune. I won't shoot or hunt with anything else. You just need your cammo jacket, T-shirt and pants, a decent pair of boots. A cap or hat, your rifle, scope and a tin of pellets and your good to go with unlimited shots. You will learn far more and quickly shooting a good springer than a cheapo PCP will show you...when it doesn't need a lot of visits to the gunsmiths to have it repaired.

Hope this helps you step in the right direction.

Simon

thanks , that has helped alot . i have shot since being really young but not at game . i was looking at a weihrauch hw95k they seem to do the job.i have 4 bsa spring rifels but i want some thing new and know it will do the job . thanks to you all .

ROSS

• Like 1