Floyd Mayweather Vs Canelo Alvarez A Cracker

Camacho good fighter, wouldn't fancy him against Floyd though. I agree that a high work rate is the key, but I think someone needs to get involved to beat him, his speed is his biggest asset, anyone who stays out of punching range ends up getting pot shotted with those lightening single shots, because his timing and sense of distance is so good.

Swarming, intelligent pressure is what's needed, and a decent chin because you're gonna end up taking shots on the way in, Cotto was having success, gambling and walking through punches to get on the inside, then letting his hands go.

Duran/Wilfredo Gomez style would be ideal, I'd love someone to be able to pressure him like that.

You make some thought provoking points....and i certainly wasnt saying Camacho would of had the beating of Mayweather.....i meant the in and out high work rate high intensity momentum he could fight with for 12 rounds.............i dont agree at all as regards Duran/Gomez i think they are the type of styles that fall right into Mayweathers hands....im not for 1 minute putting Hatton on the same level as Duran but that was how easy he dealt with a pressure fighter.....stood back had a look for a few rounds and got him out pretty easy................i simply feel someone with an amateur type point scoring style is the sort of fighter more likely to beat him,someone who will go out to outscore him each and every round and be on their bike much of the fight.......ie not even try to engage him in a tactical duel.

Got to agree what you say about his ability to judge distance i dont think ive ever seen a fighter capable of both making and closing distance as well as Mayweather does.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Mayweather is already up there with the best fighters ever regardless of this fight...................i dont know too much about Alvarez,this is about the time where id normally ask Attack Fel

This should be a class fight looks to go ahead September,mayweather choose this fight both fighters unbeaten,think this all mayweather has left to fight,if floyd wins surely he is up there with the be

I agree! Mayweather is a intelligent natural boxer & always works out how his opponent can be beaten. It will be age that retires him not Alverez!

I think I'm gonna leave this thread be until nearer the time, September 14th is a little way off. . and if I spent the next 3.5 months elaborating on how I think Alvarez can beat Mayweather, I'm gonna look a bit silly if Floyd wipes the floor with him!!

I've said it before & i'll say it again 'a good boxer will always beat a good fighter'. Like him or hate him he's fought the best & 'no his 0 won't go'. :thumbs:

I think I'm gonna leave this thread be until nearer the time, September 14th is a little way off. . and if I spent the next 3.5 months elaborating on how I think Alvarez can beat Mayweather, I'm gonna look a bit silly if Floyd wipes the floor with him!!

I've said it before & i'll say it again 'a good boxer will always beat a good fighter'. Like him or hate him he's fought the best & 'no his 0 won't go'. :thumbs:
Yes, certainly a good rule in general. . More often than not the case, but now and then the unexpected happens. . I fancy the ginger kids chances, but as said, wouldn't put much money on it!! Looking forward to September for a couple of reasons now! ;-)
  • Like 1

Yes, certainly a good rule in general. . More often than not the case, but now and then the unexpected happens. . I fancy the ginger kids chances, but as said, wouldn't put much money on it!! Looking forward to September for a couple of reasons now! ;-)

It will Ray Lennard Vs Hagler all over, & we all no how that turned out! (those that are old enough) :thumbs:

Can't wait for this fight,if mayweather does win this fight a big if,who would be next on his list will floyd and packman fight??? Can packman get back to his best like when he fought cotto hatton del Hoya and the rest or is he finished ?????

Mmmm yes I'm back. . . Too much bait to resist!

Nice to have you on the thread satan80, you certainly know your stuff - stick around!

As I've said many times previous, Mayweather's skills are like gifts from the gods, enought to make a failure like me sick. . But I know that there is more to boxing than skill and speed, not that Mayweather lacks in any other departments. .

But I can't possibly compare him with the welterweights of the 80's, Leonard, Duran, Benitez and Hearns had each other to test themselves against and not mention other legendary fighters, Hagler for one. . Mayweather hasn't had anything like the aforementioned pitted against him and I'm a firm believer in the saying "that what's not been tested can't be trusted"

I'm not sure if Mayweather can withstand intense pressure, hard, fast bunches of punches coming from a man with a granite chin, who isn't too bothered about getting hit, not going run out of steam. . Of recent fighters, someone like a prime Erik Morales, who sparred with Floyd in 1999 and rumored to have given Floyd a torrid ordeal.

Alvarez throws fast enough (if a little short), hard enough and enough volume of punches to win this fight. . He won't make the mistake of smothering his own work when close to Mayweather, like so many others have. .

You can bet he's gonna throw the kitchen sink at Mayweather, he's not daft enough to try and outbox him and he'll have a crowd of Mexican heritage fighters and trainers who will inform him of what to do. . But obviously, we'll have to wait and see if he can implement his tactics!

I just hope that the 2lb doesn't have any effect on the fight, Alvarez at 22 is still filling out. .

Great post, you've got very similar ideas to me on the subject of Pretty Boy Floyd!

It is a massive shame that he's not in an era of other genuine standout fighters around his weight, I think he'd be competitive with any of the 'Fab 4' you mention, but I'd favour them all over him, for various reasons that would take me hours to write out!

Morales is a good shout, never even considered him as a fantasy opponent for Floyd, I could see him having success with his long slashing punches, he's one of my favourite modern day fighters, first fight with Barrera is still the best I've ever watched live (on tv).

Agree though that pressure is the key, you just can't allow Mayweather time at range to start timing his shots, got to keep him on the back foot and unsure of himself (Castillo did a good job).

Camacho good fighter, wouldn't fancy him against Floyd though. I agree that a high work rate is the key, but I think someone needs to get involved to beat him, his speed is his biggest asset, anyone who stays out of punching range ends up getting pot shotted with those lightening single shots, because his timing and sense of distance is so good.

Swarming, intelligent pressure is what's needed, and a decent chin because you're gonna end up taking shots on the way in, Cotto was having success, gambling and walking through punches to get on the inside, then letting his hands go.

Duran/Wilfredo Gomez style would be ideal, I'd love someone to be able to pressure him like that.

You make some thought provoking points....and i certainly wasnt saying Camacho would of had the beating of Mayweather.....i meant the in and out high work rate high intensity momentum he could fight with for 12 rounds.............i dont agree at all as regards Duran/Gomez i think they are the type of styles that fall right into Mayweathers hands....im not for 1 minute putting Hatton on the same level as Duran but that was how easy he dealt with a pressure fighter.....stood back had a look for a few rounds and got him out pretty easy................i simply feel someone with an amateur type point scoring style is the sort of fighter more likely to beat him,someone who will go out to outscore him each and every round and be on their bike much of the fight.......ie not even try to engage him in a tactical duel.

Got to agree what you say about his ability to judge distance i dont think ive ever seen a fighter capable of both making and closing distance as well as Mayweather does.

Duran at lightweight tears Floyd a new one in my opinion, he was so much more than pressure - fast feet, outstanding jab on the way in, vicious bodypunchng, unbelievable conditioning, just a savage who would have not given Mayweather any respect and been up in his grill from round 1.

And Hatton was competitive with Floyd until the stoppage, did a fairly good job of taking him out of his comfort zone.

Funnily enough though, I agree a bit about an amateur point scoring style maybe being effective against Mayweather.... I know people laugh at the thought of Khan fighting him but he would be one of the few who could match him for speed and athleticism, and would force him to fight in a way that he hasn't done for years, problem is if Floyd decided to put on pressure and close the gap, Amir would be knackered because he is completely clueless on the inside.

As much as I dislike Mayweather, it says something about how good he is by the fact that I'm sat at 12.15am on a Sunday morning, typing about hypothetical ways he could be beaten! ...the twat has even got me losing my beauty sleep

• Like 1

It will take the next 3.5 years before Alvarez is good enough to beat Mayweather, I tell you Mayweather gets it, and by a stoppage :yes: .

Duran at lightweight tears Floyd a new one in my opinion, he was so much more than pressure - fast feet, outstanding jab on the way in, vicious bodypunchng, unbelievable conditioning, just a savage who would have not given Mayweather any respect and been up in his grill from round 1.

And Hatton was competitive with Floyd until the stoppage, did a fairly good job of taking him out of his comfort zone.

Funnily enough though, I agree a bit about an amateur point scoring style maybe being effective against Mayweather.... I know people laugh at the thought of Khan fighting him but he would be one of the few who could match him for speed and athleticism, and would force him to fight in a way that he hasn't done for years, problem is if Floyd decided to put on pressure and close the gap, Amir would be knackered because he is completely clueless on the inside.

As much as I dislike Mayweather, it says something about how good he is by the fact that I'm sat at 12.15am on a Sunday morning, typing about hypothetical ways he could be beaten! ...the twat has even got me losing my beauty sleep

For me a pressure fighter today of any sort will come undone against Mayweather he is just too tactically intelligent to have his feathers ruffled into making mistakes.....pressure fighters of years ago like Duran and Frazier were those relentless type of phenomenally conditioned fighters capable of forcing a fight from bell to bell with no let up.....today pressure fighters seem to move their feet forward eating jabs and hooks and get labelled the aggressor like its worthy of credit......Alexis Arguello in my opinion was one of the all time great pressure fighters but it was a completely different pressure to the constant pure aggression pop pop pop of a Duran.........a real pressure fighter will dictate the tempo forcing the opponent to look for space if he can cut the ring off effectively he will drain the fight and desire out of an opponent.......its interesting because very few if any top box fighters like Mayweather have ever gone undefeated ( maybe Mayweather will be the first ).....yet a few pressure fighters have,Marciano,Calzaghe to name a few......if you look around today at the world title holders very few again are come forward pressure fighters.....most being the stand off counter punchers like Mayweather....he wants his opponent on the front foot,he wants them to inititate the action to work off of what he sees...................id like to see someone force him to come forward......a quick in,out and move away fighter with the style of a Khan or a Calazghe could outwork him and win the rounds forcing him at some stage to come looking.......i just think trying to walk him down is falling into his hands.

Some fighter Mayweather thats for sure...............anyway good to hear interesting thoughts on a common interest :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Ive had the pleasure of watching mayeather. Twice once early on in his carear the second against mosley. Just can not see any one of the current crop being good enough to beat him i did at one stage think the pacman but he has gone backwards alverez is taking this match far to early in his career But that only my opinion

• Like 1

Ive had the pleasure of watching mayeather. Twice once early on in his carear the second against mosley. Just can not see any one of the current crop being good enough to beat him i did at one stage think the pacman but he has gone backwards alverez is taking this match far to early in his career But that only my opinion

I agree! Mayweather is a intelligent natural boxer & always works out how his opponent can be beaten. It will be age that retires him not Alverez!

• Like 3