.17Hmr - Clean Barrel After Use Or Not?

I will always run a bore snake down my barrel and strip down and clean my mod, also wipe over the bolt with a rag+ wd40 before i lock my rifle away .. even if i've only fired off a few shots

Tried using the snake last night ,bloody mare of a job ,ended up throwing it in the bin. Maybe i was too hasty chucking it. Maybe you could instruct me on the correct way of using it ,if would be so kind :hmm:

I will always run a bore snake down my barrel and strip down and clean my mod, also wipe over the bolt with a rag+ wd40 before i lock my rifle away .. even if i've only fired off a few shots

Tried using the snake last night ,bloody mare of a job ,ended up throwing it in the bin. Maybe i was too hasty chucking it. Maybe you could instruct me on the correct way of using it ,if would be so kind :hmm:

First off all i found using my bore snake was almost impossible to use on its own ..( getting weight down the barrel ) so i made a pre cleaner .. got the waist cord from a pair of waterproof legging and a thinner cord from a set of window blinds melted the end together .. so now i run that down my barrel first .. that gets rjd of the larger stuff and i can drop the weight from the bore snake down my barrel with ease ...once through i wrap the cord with the weight around a piece of wood and pull it through without hurting my fingers ...

If you think a boresnake is a good idea then use a bore guide and drop the weight through that

I only clean mine after it goes off Zero which may be 200 rounds and i bore snake then rod and clean,

Same here.

Although, when the zero went off recently i had abit of a job getting it clean. I used my normal routine. Forrest foam bore cleaner and a snake but it just wasn't sorting the poor grouping out. I shelled out on a Hoppes rod cleaning kit, including patches, oil and copper bore cleaner. I was amazed on how much c*** came out even after several runs through with the bore cleaner. After around 8-9 patches it came up clean.

I took it out yesterday and after 3-4 shots it was bang on again.

You seem to have worked it out, that is the correct place for it! :laugh::thumbs:

There is no getting away from the fact the tiny .17 bore is fiddly and tricky to clean, doing the job properly and CAREFULLY is essential.

And don't forget chamber and extractor lug seatings, the HMR is well known to split cases and potentially this causes lots of muck issues in these areas.

Edit

Oh yes, strip and clean the bolt as well from time to time, only takes a few minutes but well worth it. :yes::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I hear people keep saying about split cases , i have fired several thousand rounds not found a split one yet, i know i don't always check but my mates young lad wanted my spent cases and i let him have a biscuit tin full , he was always messing with them and we never noticed a split one.

Odds are people just miss them, if you fire enough there are plenty......

post-10759-0-96756500-1369752295_thumb.jpg

There is no getting away from the fact the tiny .17 bore is fiddly and tricky to clean, doing the job properly and CAREFULLY is essential.

And don't forget chamber and extractor lug seatings, the HMR is well known to split cases and potentially this causes lots of muck issues in these areas.

Edit

Oh yes, strip and clean the bolt as well from time to time, only takes a few minutes but well worth it. :yes::thumbs:

Same as Stalker, although only put 1000 ish rounds through my hmr. Never had/noticed a split case. :hmm:

But yours is a fair point Deker, i don't examine every case....Never really thought about getting a little brush and cleaner into the extractor lug seatings. Will do it when cleaning from now. Can only be a positive! :thumbs:

I've always just used a Bore Snake after every session on my CZ452. A squirt of Bisley Gun oil at the front brush and that's it. If I've fired around twenty shots, I'll give it two pulls through. Dropping it down the barrel has never been a problem. My rifle is still firing spot on several years down the line. Sorry Dekers, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edit

Same as Stalker, although only put 1000 ish rounds through my hmr. Never had/noticed a split case. :hmm:

But yours is a fair point Deker, i don't examine every case....Never really thought about getting a little brush and cleaner into the extractor lug seatings. Will do it when cleaning from now. Can only be a positive! :thumbs:

You would be surprised what comes out of them, or perhaps its just mine with split cases.

I tend to use a flat headed jewellers screwdriver to dig out the muck, they are not easy to access and care is needed.

Edited by Deker

You seem to have worked it out, that is the correct place for it! :laugh::thumbs:

:yes: