Ive started running my patterdale alongside my bike,not in any main roads or stuff like that so its all safe etc.What i wanted to know is what would you suggest a safe distance to run him,hes handled 3 miles at a trot with ease,but dont want to push him too far that it will physicly be bad for him.I'm aware that he needs to steadily be introduced to it and not just smack him out there on a 10 miler,but at what distance would it become dangerous?

Checked his pads after the run and theyre fine,when i got back to take the other dog out he still wanted to go back with me :p

It will differ from dog to dog depending on breed and fitness..

I build them up slowly.. Its often not distance that takes it toll its the speed you go..

Had mine on 15 milers at steady pace with the odd short breather. Dont get carried away going down hills fast I often walk down big hills.. I some times hit going up hills hard,cause its hard for me lol and dogs get to ease off when it levels out again, if I dont need to stop :laugh:

5 miles is nothing really at steady pace.

I have taken some canny treks.. I would recon little and often would be better than a marthon slog . Two five milers rather than ten.. Before season gets going I bike mine evey other day..

• Like 1

To be honest i dont really want to go too fast incase he does decide he wants to run through a bush,as i have him on a lead he just runs along side me,ill build him up steadily anyway,do a 4m run tomorrow then maybe a 2nd one later in the day,see how he is.to be honest i wouldnt be suprised to see him run over 10miles but his so headstrong he would run himself till his legs fell off.

Should be ok being a small dog.. I have taken two lurchers on couplings, when they stop for a shit your over the handle bars :icon_redface:

Best make sure they have had a good clean out before you set off :laugh: .

Locally before they opened new by pass for traffic it was great. Biking the dogs there, ehe road surface was cracking and very safe for man and beast :laugh:

I bet a wee patt could cover some distance :thumbs:

• Like 1

Should be ok being a small dog.. I have taken two lurchers on couplings, when they stop for a shit your over the handle bars :icon_redface:

Locally before they opened new by pass for traffic it was great. Biking the dogs there, ehe road surface was cracking and very safe for man and beast :laugh:

Let me know the next time you plan on going arse over tit across the handlebars,I'll come over with the camera,just the kind of pictures we need on here in the silly season :boogy::laugh:

Let me know the next time you plan on going arse over tit across the handlebars,I'll come over with the camera,just the kind of pictures we need on here in the silly season :boogy::laugh:

Hasnt happened yet :)Hes better on the lead when i go on the bike than when im bloody walking lol

I find it a little boring biking with the dogs as the speed is a little slow, better to put your trainers on and run with it. Running means you can get off road so the dog can have a little free running, bearing in mind the possibility of it disappearing, and the changes of pace and terrain give better fitness.

With running you haven’t got to worry about pushing the dog to hard as you both develop fitness together, you don’t over pace the dog into overheating in the warm summer weather as the human jog and dog trot are about the same pace so the dog can run at your side to recover if getting a little hot. That isn’t to say that running is a good idea in the heat of the day.

• Like 1

I could not get mine fit by jogging, poor dog would only get down the street and back :laugh:

I did used to jog mine along the river. Which was good, as they were also in and out the water.

Biking beats jogging for me :icon_redface:

Its good if your pushed for time. A 4/5 mile walk would take an hour roughly you could bike that in 30 mins with out flogging the dog..

If I have done 12 shifts and am goosed I take the bike.. There are some cycle paths quite bridal ways so i let the dogs off the lead to plod along..

I dont know these young pups on quads lol, before we know it they will have become the mobesity scooter of the countryside.

All I can say is if your @rse is over hanging the seat its time to get off and walk.

• Like 1

I dont know these young pups on quads lol, before we know it they will have become the mobesity scooter of the countryside.

All I can say is if your @rse is over hanging the seat its time to get off and walk.

Lol I have spent the last 22 years running around with ridiculous weights on my back this is chill out time for me now and when the dogs need a 10 miler it gets done on the quad ..............

• Like 1

My dogs love to run alongside - doesn't matter what - cycle ( I do about 8 miles 3 times a week) running ( 4-6 miles each morning) or with the horses ( 2-3 hours, pace depending on terrain) they just love to mooch along with whatever I do. It reinforces the training, as well as keeping them fit, nails trim, pads healthy, and most importantly they stfu in the house.

• Like 2

I find the quad excellent for fitness training. Can run the dog behind it just trotting about for hours around the place, at a slow pace, starting and stopping as i'm working. Or give him a concentrated work out at a fast speed for several mins at a time with breaks.