Drop Nets

Guest Rabbiteer

as high as you can get it and manage to work it.

my set has a hight of 6ft 8inch at the footline when set. With hight comes problems about the net wobbling but guy ropes sort that out. The higher it is the more confidently the rabbits will pass under it :thumbs:

Hi

i use 8ft hand rail poles and the high of the net is based on how far the poles can be knocked into the ground. So do the maths 2ft on the poles for the net 1 to 1 half in the ground.

So i guess i am setting mine at 5 to 5 and half foot the pins are usually going at eye level as a guide. Good head and foot lines are imporant when tensioning over distance.

They then to cut the wobble in my option.

Regards Roger.

Edited by R_Oldroyd
Hi

i use 8ft hand rail poles and the high of the net is based on how far the poles can be knocked into the ground. So do the maths 2ft on the poles for the net 1 to 1 half in the ground.

So i guess i am setting mine at 5 to 5 and half foot the pins are usually going at eye level as a guide. Good head and foot lines are imporant when tensioning over distance.

They then to cut the wobble in my option.

Regards Roger.

:clapper: You are spot on there Roger,...ya gotta stop the wobble... :clapper:

Seriously,...Rabbiteer,..for the entire exercise to work,...it must be stable... :thumbs:

Best of luck with your project... :drink::drink:

like most things within fieldsports, when you take time to think about it and use a little common sence, most if not all problems can be over come with a little thought. :hmm:

if the net is set correctly on the sliders at ground level, plenty of tension in the running lines, it stands to reason that when pushed to ther hight of the poles there will still be that tension in the net. thus hold the drop pole tight. all thats left to do then is tension the 2 outter poles. there the easy ones to sort out :thumbs:

[

like most things within fieldsports, when you take time to think about it and use a little common sence, most if not all problems can be over come with a little thought. :hmm:

if the net is set correctly on the sliders at ground level, plenty of tension in the running lines, it stands to reason that when pushed to ther hight of the poles there will still be that tension in the net. thus hold the drop pole tight. all thats left to do then is tension the 2 outter poles. there the easy ones to sort out :thumbs:

Heres a picture of my drop net just to give you some ideas of what mine looks like setup at a school

Its a 100yd long with a trammel net incorporated into the nylon net. They take time to make but it worth it they catch rabbits well and stop the pins snagging.

P.S this is my first attachment. There seems to be few pictures to help people out or give people ideas.

You can see the importance of good head and foot lines to hold the net under tension. It helps to stop the wobble and aids when pulling the pins.

Regards Roger

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Here you can see that the pins are more or less at eye level depending on how hard it is to get the poles in the ground.

As for leaded line when i drop this drop net its under so much tension that the support poles for the net embed themselves in the ground so the footline is tight to the ground most of the time. :yes:

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Just a small suggestion..

seeing as your footline is fairly low,well the bagging, have you tried placing the bagging over the headline? this gives a few feet more of clearance nad allows the rabbits to gain confidence to pass under more freely?

dont be worried about the net not bagging as normal as it falls free of the headline as soon as the first rabbit hits it.

great pics of how differant folks gear is rigged :thumbs:

Edited by mole catcher

I had never seen a drop net before today,so this thread was very educating.How many of the galvanized steel poles are there to set up,and,if they are 8ft tall,how the hell do you knock them in the ground(hope this isn't a stupid question).

I have rabbited with ferrets/dogs and guns all my life(49)and,I don't know anyone that uses a drop net in this area. :victory: Can you show some photo's of how the net is dropped into position please. :hmm:

I had never seen a drop net before today,so this thread was very educating.How many of the galvanized steel poles are there to set up,and,if they are 8ft tall,how the hell do you knock them in the ground(hope this isn't a stupid question).

I have rabbited with ferrets/dogs and guns all my life(49)and,I don't know anyone that uses a drop net in this area. :victory: Can you show some photo's of how the net is dropped into position please. :hmm:

Yes there is a considerable outlay but i carry pest control as a job and not just as a hobby. As for getting the poles in the ground i use a step ladder. The number of poles depends on the length of net and tension, but 9 are used usually. Hard heavy work. But it is a solid set up. I don't bother messing with the bag because in a strong wind its all over the shop anyway.

This is the net in the down position once the pins have been pulled. Note the pull cord and pins

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Like yourself Mr Oldroyd, i too am involved with pest control for a living and as you will know yourself, a method that doesnt work wont feed the family and keep the wolves at bay.

The drop net system has been around for yrs, not many haved used it in recent yrs i dare say. I was first shown it about 27 yrs ago, it caught then and im sure it will catch now. As all sportsman will know we all have our own little quirks within the sam method, thats why i suggested throwing the bagging over the headline. just a quirk of mine. Its good to see an old time method being used in todays world of re-inveting the wheel, good on you :thumbs:

them poles look a good thickness, the ones on my set are 5/8inch tubes, what size are the tubes on your set?

Like yourself Mr Oldroyd, i too am involved with pest control for a living and as you will know yourself, a method that doesnt work wont feed the family and keep the wolves at bay.

The drop net system has been around for yrs, not many haved used it in recent yrs i dare say. I was first shown it about 27 yrs ago, it caught then and im sure it will catch now. As all sportsman will know we all have our own little quirks within the sam method, thats why i suggested throwing the bagging over the headline. just a quirk of mine. Its good to see an old time method being used in todays world of re-inveting the wheel, good on you :thumbs:

them poles look a good thickness, the ones on my set are 5/8inch tubes, what size are the tubes on your set?

Far play. This system is quite labour intensive and i wouldn't even think about using it unless i was getting paid for it. And only as a last resort if no other methods can be used.

The poles are thinker than yours but have found if they are too thin they bend when you knock them in the ground. Down side is they are heavy but they add stability to the system.

In a plumb centre they call it hand rail its thinnner than scoffolding pole but only just.

P.S will try hanging the bag next time i get the old girl out. regards Roger.