my little dog did on a busy day...i just had to carry her the rest of the way and after a nights sleep she was goo as gold, wasnt fitting tho :hmm: i think fitting could indicate worst tbh

My little terrier did the same a few years back after a long day out..

she was bushing rabbits out of woodland running after them everywhere after a day of catching bolters up on the hill... she was very lethhargic and drank her weight in water out of a trough but the next morning she was jumping around like a coiled spring
Same with mine mate, she was trying to keep up with the lurchers! :laugh: Se was fine until we were about half a mile from home on the way back and it was like she just cramped up. I carried her back, she had a good kip and a bit of food and she was back to normal the next day.. :thumbs:

purely for rehydration, (not for animals with an illness0, are things like recharge and lectade actually any better than water? in my experience a dog which has diarrhoea or similar may benefit from salt/glucose solution but pure water better for simple rehydration?

Is water any better or worse than lucozade sport :whistling:

i guess it depends who you ask!

Thanks for the replies on the thread. . Interesting reading.

Bit more info about what happened, the dog (Duke) was mine from 6 weeks old, more specifically he's a Wheaton/Grey x Bull/Grey, I had to home him with my mother last year when he started clashing with my other dog Oscar (Deer/Grey x Whippet/Grey)

Duke loves to retrieve and I mean he really does love it. . My mother brings him over to me on a regular basis (especially throughout the summer now) and I take him down the beach to launch the ball, he goes after it like a dog possessed and my Oscar goes after him like he stole his bone (they get on OK policed and on neutral territory) it keeps Oscar fit and its good to see Duke too. .

On this particular occasion my sister in laws brother Jacob, joins me on the beach (He and his family where over from the US to see the girl marry my brother) he loves the beach as much as Duke loves the ball (he lives in a part of the states where the nearest beach is a 6 hour drive) anyway, Oscar has soon had enough and I'm ready to walk back to my place, but Jacob says to me "hey, do you mind if I stay here with duke and throw the ball for a bit longer"? I apprehensively agree to this and leave him there with a lead and instructions. . I'm back at home in 10 mins and entertaining my multitude of guests. . an hour flies by and just when I'm thinking "where in the world has Jacob got to" he comes running through the door and catching his breath he's stutters "your dog has collapsed" I'm thinking "he's tired himself out" I run down to the beach to find a mini crowd of people around the dog and there I see him having what appeared to be a major epileptic fit, he's grinding his teething he's shaking and jolting and his tail is going everywhere, my heart sinks and I'm thinking "he's gonna die" I'm somewhat relieved when I pull back his eye lids to find plenty of life in his eyes (movement)

I pick him up and make way back home and whilst contacting the in call vet. . Half way back, I stop lay the dog flat, take a look at him, a woman stopped and questioned me and quickly and confidently assured me that he'd collapsed due exhaustion (EIC) and that he would be okay I thanked her and carried on, got indoors and led him flat, he continued to remain in the condition he was in for 20 mins or so. . But then came good, I was relieved to say the least, I'm fond of the dog he's a cracker and a much loved family guardian. . Lesson learned, don't leave your dog with an American! Haha.

• Like 1

Had it with 2 bullcrosses.Don't know whether its genetic to the bull in them or not. It could have been down to soft palette that bulls have & can induce fits especially if it was a warm day.There game dogs & with the ball obsession they won't stop for a drink therefore not cooling down the palette it therefore swells hinders breathing & can induce fits. :good:

That's one ugly dog!

Anyway,bull breeds have a soft palette its something to do with there jaw design.Never heard of retriever breeds have soft palette?

Had 2 bullcrosses suffer from it.1 of them while running around in warm weather the other lamping on warm nights.Electrolytes are good(recharge,etc). I syringe it in to there mouths if they won't drink it but cool water is just as good although it doesn't replace the salts it opens the air ways.

Fitness is another key point with heavy running dogs.

The fitter the less it seems to happen for some reason as long as regular fluids are given.

Personally it got on my nerves so parted company with them & went for a breed more suited to stamina running.Although this was a long time ago when I had this problem bullcrosses were relatively rare at the time so not a lot was known about it. Hope this helps!