hi folks, whilst knocking the render of the walls of our downstairs loo i noticed the old wooden lintel over the window was that damp and rotton in actually fell out!!!! ive got it propped with acros at the moment. i was wondering if i replace this myself do i need building inspector approval or can i just get on and do it? and how much over hang either side and minimum thickness etc or does it need to be a concrete lintel these days?

thanks in advance

ant

If you are unsure what to do you are best get someone in to have a look and offer some face to face advice..the information you require can not be accuratley given over the internet..and if you do it wrong it could end up with someone seriously hurt or killed..or you well out of pocket when half of your house fall's down..

You wont need approval mate. As long as it's no more than 4 foot or so a prestressed concrete lintel will be fine, anything much over that and an RSJ would be better. You'll need a minimum 4" overhang, 6" if you can get it.

• Like 1

Much easier to buy one mate. I'm guessing if it's a toilet window it will be quite small, in which case the 100x65 will be ample.Any thing much over 4 foot and you would be better off getting someone in because you will have some bricks come down on you, possibly quite a few. iIf you do have to rebuild a few make sure you pack the final course with slate or something similar or you will have a crack appear later on.