Help Needed! Can U Stop A Dog From Pulling Up Off Rabbits!!

My brothers collie greyhound bitch keeps going in for the kill but pulls up at last second and leaves it run on! She was coming on lovely as u would expect most young lurches she was coursing well but the the agile bunnies were getting the better of her on the turns, which in my experience is to be expected for an inexperienced dog.finally she caught one, " and a cracking take too" but as soon as the rabbit squeaked she immediately dropped it and let it run nudging her nose rather than biteing, is this something that can be remedied or is the bitch going to keep doing it. "Is my brother wasting his time??" Bitch is 17 months now by the way.

Get the dog chasing and retreivin both squeeky toys an a fur dummy or dead bunny. Show her an older dog that knows the job catch. Failing that shoot it....n

It was a joke.... or was it haha

• Like 2

Sorry about my reply a couple too many bushmills haha. This is a confidence issue. The bitch is unsure what is expected of her. And that warm wriggling squeeking bunny in her mouth has made her unsure. Follow the advice I gave earlier and coupled with time things will come good.. iiv seen a few saluki bred lurchers and ccolliexs act like this. Iff you can find a large squeeky toy that you could gave a little games of tug with her then that will work. All the best with it and pm me ifyou need any thing else. Unless I'm on the bushmills haha

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long time replying, I've been ripping the house out! Thanks for the advice guys we've taken her out a lot since training with a squeaky toy inside a tanned rabbit fur! It was the squeaking noise that was putting her off, but after a lot of playtime on the local rugby field is paying off she's grabbed it so many times now she doesn't batter an eye lid, I've never had this problem with any of mine before but she smashing into it now. I've noticed a real change in her over the last month or two it seem silly to say, but it's like she's grown up mentally if it makes any sense to you! Once again thanks for the advice all.