Keeping Dogs And Bitches?

never kept a dog only bitches but have one now currently 7 month old,kennelled seperate from my 2 year old bitch just wanting to know who will generaly rule the roost so to speak is it true a bitch will generaly keep a dog in check cheers

It is only very recently that I have had a single sex kennel, all dogs. For years I had mostly bitches. Lots of people believe that bitches rule the roost but it all depends on the animal. I've had bitches that were very laid back and interestingly they always seemed to get on with the dogs. The issues always seemed to be with other bitches. I also for years had only one run and dogs, bitches and pups all lived together. It always was the case that my alpha dog was a male. Just the way it worked out. Everybody knew their place and there was a distinct pecking order. This pecking order was thrown into some confusion when one of the younger bitches was in season. For the time that she was in season she would rise to the top almost as if the other dogs and especially the other bitches recognised her temporary elevation. Of course once she was out of season she would be knocked back by the senior bitch.

On average I would expect some hostility from the bitch towards the pup. Once she remembers that you are the boss she may well learn to at least accept the pup if not actually come to love it. Your even handed response to both dogs will dictate how soon things settle down.

Edited by Des O'Neile
  • Like 1

My dog is 6 and my bitch is his daughter at 2....you'd think he'd be the 'boss' yeah? Not a chance!! She rules the roost and for want of an easy life he doesn't put up a fight :laugh: