Harris Hawk Mews

And it dusnt need to be open on the top at all which rule book states that? Its just an advantage!! But myn gets the advantage of seing the outside world and getting a littl freedom on lawn for few hours a week :) jus sayn.....

how on earth do you think a tetherted bird is more free than a bird free lofted with a open roof to let weather in and being able to see out .this is more natural than a bird given 18'' of freedom

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thank f--k we all seem to be getting along again chaps,whatever method you use, one thing is clear, its too bleedin long until next season, that's for sure, must be the frustration causing people

I appreciate any help mate honest and i only retaliated over the attitude against it. Apologies to the lad but jus cud of been more helping advise rather than the dissing attitude. Im always up or lea

i kept mine tethered through the moult last year and had no problems with feather growth whatsoever. he is freelofted now but hardly moves from the same perch. personally i dont see a problem with it

Posted Images

Obviiusly not because its all its knew from hatching from the egg but when youv had a season with it and it has already had thr freedom then boom! Seclusion right throughout the whole summer. Are wild birds secluded throughout moult????????? Exactly. And i know for sure my bird and any bird would much prefer to have that littl bit of life for a fee hours a week and atleast see whats goin on! My garden is 100 seclded and no stress is put on her what so ever. Theres so many right ways and rong ways of doing things and some work for others some dont!! Being a experianced falconer yourself surely u know that right?? Instincts follow if success is proven to the training and routines you provide!! Myn being successfull as to which i will follow. If things change then so does my routine.!:)

• Like 1

you out to calm down mate i agree with grovsey it will stress your bird out handling her during the moult even if you dont see it, the birds gone from flying free going where she wants in the aviary to putting her restricted on the perch, what difference is it gonna make being able to see out of the aviary to being able to see the exact same thing in the garden? you would do well to listen to grovsey he has helped me out in the past and he his only giving you his advice which is sound advice and he deffinetly doesnt deserve to be called dumb. my aviary is open fronted during the moult too, however the bird gets no contact and is fed during the night to prevent calling at anyone which has worked 100% and he always comes out feather perfect however grovsey prefers to moult in seclusion and he is completely true that this is the best way to moult a bird out to give minimal stress and perfect feather condition everytime. dont be so defensive if you dont agree with whats being said then say that theres no need to start abusing members at the first bit of criticism :no:

Well as I have said before each to his own, but for me its Martin Hollinshead method, I just don't see the need to freeloft and have no contact with the bird,I have never experienced any probs doing it this way, bow the bird out, the odd lure chase,ect then when its time to hunt,drop weight, go hunting, but everyone has their own way, its what works for you that is important.

• Like 1

i wouldnt of been so defensive if he was a little easier in giving me the advise rather than the depanding sarcasm. I totaly agree on everyones down to their own and he should no that himself being a falconer everyones down to their own succeses. Mines already moulted out a good amount already and shes in top condition. She doesnt stress in the aviary 1 bit at all if this was the case she would hang offf the aviary mesh like a monkey and damage all her feathers but she would jus prefer to observe the world being happy just sitting at her fat weight not worried as log as hes full right up. Bow her out few hours a week if weather is nice which she enjoys and doesnt bait proving she actuli knows that shes getting bowd out obviously enjoying it. As i say and always will every1 is to ther own and maybe if my plan starts to go tits up then il try your method but for now i seem to be doin fine. Cheers

you obviously have a special gift with hawks being able to read there minds a true doctor dolittle, how she tells you these things is amazing. what you need to understand is a bird of prey isnt wired up like say a parrot or budgie, they dont seek affection or attention they are simply on the lookout for there next feed. if the methods working for you then that absolutely fine, crack on. but you would be the dumb one to believe the hawk enjoys the attention

Always get the cocky cu*nts over these forumsmind!! If u read my reply proply dusn mention anythig about enjoying attention just i know a little piece of freedom is better thn 100% seclusion no what living creature it is!!! If you wanna give advise do it without the attitude and the knob sucking of sum cu*nt else. As it is peoples to their own end of rant.

not being a cocky c**t mate, just your posts make out as if your some sort of bird whisperer. and as far a sticking up for grovsey im sure he doesnt need it but the point is you jumped down his throat as soon as he gave some advice and his opinion on a proved tried and tested method of moulting. also read your posts bud im not the one with the attitude problem calling members dumb, cocky c**t, knob and sarcastic im sure it isnt how you would talk to someone in person so why do it over the internet. lets leave it behind us anyway i know that if a method was working for me i wouldnt change it for anyone nor would i go againt any critism from anyone. nobody knows everything and there is always room for improvement. and for the record i think the aviary looks good good regardless of how it is being used only i didnt get to comment before it all kicked off :thumbs:

I appreciate any help mate honest and i only retaliated over the attitude against it. Apologies to the lad but jus cud of been more helping advise rather than the dissing attitude. Im always up or learnining new stuff thers never enough to know in this game every 1 has there own successfull ways of doing things and i always like to hear everyones ways and thoughts. Anyows we close the thread at that ha cheers for the comment bud. Roll on the season anyway.

Edited by craigynewall
  • Like 2

Thank god your talking about a Harris, if it was a parent reared spar or goss then I hate to think what your methods would do to the bird in molt. Harris hawks are very forgiving not always a good thing where relatively new falconers are concerned in my book as they don't gain the experiences required to fully understand the consciences of their mistakes

i wouldnt dream of moulting any bird like i do with the open front aviary at the minute other than the harris. its just that they are so easy going and so you can get away with it and still get top results. but with any other bird i would be seclucion all the way :thumbs:. still not sure on handling hawks through the moult though but if it working for charlie caller and craigynewall then there is no need for them to do anything different and like has already been said the harris is the perfect bird to do it with however thats where the line needs to be drawn because with birds being so easily accessible we dont need to be letting on that its ok to be doing it with other other species of birds which could cause problems

edited to add that i did use the same method as craigynewall last year due to a move in house and limited aviary space and i didnt like it although feather growth was good the bird resented the handling and was aggressive, but if its not happening with other peoples birds then i dont see a problem with it but its just not my preference and my experience with it was terrible

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

I would actually only use this method with the harris as they so much diffrerent personality than most birds much more laid back and easy going. I dunno if iv just been lucky with this harris but everything in my method is workin so far maybe when i get my second harris a male which im thinking about getting in the next year or 2 will react diferently and then i will totally change my method with the harris open front even if jessie is diferent next year im always down for tryin new things and if nex season she reacts dofrent to the open front and handling then il change tht aswell but until now i stick with my routine as its working fine for me lucky enough.

most lads know there own birds well enough, and there are many opinions on as too what produces the perfect moult, Hollinshead has his way, there are several other ways including th euse of artificial light to quicken the moult , then theres the traditional free loft in seclusion, tube fed, etc which to be fair in 95% of cases produces a smashing new coat of feather for the new season. As lads get to know there individual birds over the seasons that they hunt them they can tweak care routines to suit the 'individual' birds nature.

Heres controversey for ya Im moulting a first year gyrxsaker parent reared free lofted in 1/4 open fronted mews :laugh: and to be fair the bird himself dictated this, he 100% parent reared, however for some reason he shows all the plus points of an imprint and thankfully none of the negatives, now when I took him up I spent a lot of time with this bird and the dogs he had to work with and I mean a lot of time :victory: , he will eat from same carcass as dog and is brave with all dogs except white ones lol, his mews is 10 x 7 temporary, although I wont move him when the new one is built, he might as well moult out where he is, he only sees the dogs ferrets and us daily and none of that stresses him, his new feather is coming through nicely, its very much a horses for courses , one thing it shows clearly are threads like this just how mny really start with no mentor :cray: other wise they would not feel the need to ask on here methinks :laugh: