New Camara Action Shots And To The Post Of Help Breaking To Stock

Nice looking dog. I think it all depends how much deerhound is in the dog. Mine has a fair old dash of deerhound (see recent pic in avatar) and conseqently is just starting to settle down now at two and a half.

This was ridiculed on the other thread, as was my Jackie Drakeford quote, but it's a fact that some deerhound X's take an age to mature.

If you can get them to stock early then that's clearly the way to go, and I have no argument with that at all. With a rescue which was six months old before I got him (I had to wait to find an intact dog, most rescues have their nuts off), it's a little harder, but not impossible by any means - it just takes longer.

What about teaching the basic's like sit, stay, retrieve etc, these are all obiedience training like stock breaking :yes: So what your saying is that a heavily blooded deerhound dog is not trained the basic's until they're 2 + ? :hmm:

That's exactly what's being said Johnny - see the Help with Stock Breaking thread from Saturday...old saying some folk shouldn't have dogs has never been more apt... :thumbs:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why do you keep coming back to the "how much deerhound in the x" it doesn't matter whats in the mix, they should be broken to stock when they are pups, no excuses, which is what you are making.

nice pics like the look of your dogs, it does not matter what is in the dog to stock train as already said if you intend to go on ground with stock then its as essential as heel sit and stay and for f

you admit to being a beginner, so why won't you listen to what others are trying to tell you, you have contradicted yourself far to often to be taken seriously.

Admitting to being a beginner, first timer and knowing very little, smashing.that being the case, what would posess you to post advice on a stock breaking thread? If you'd tried asking instead of telling I've no doubt your detractors would've been among the first to offer their help.if your dog didnt come to you until it was 6mth that wouldnt preclude it from having seen stock with its previous owner, also not having had it from a pup you seem remarkably sure of the breeding? Not that the breeds in the mix are even relevant to stock breaking.what seems more likely is your evident lack of confidence is having a larger impact on the training rather than a flaw with the dog, strong leadership is whats needed , not theorising and slavish adherence to traing manuals.or of course I might just be talkin bollocks.

p.s what was your dog 'rescued' from?

• Like 1

Admitting to being a beginner, first timer and knowing very little, smashing.that being the case, what would posess you to post advice on a stock breaking thread? If you'd tried asking instead of telling I've no doubt your detractors would've been among the first to offer their help.if your dog didnt come to you until it was 6mth that wouldnt preclude it from having seen stock with its previous owner, also not having had it from a pup you seem remarkably sure of the breeding? Not that the breeds in the mix are even relevant to stock breaking.what seems more likely is your evident lack of confidence is having a larger impact on the training rather than a flaw with the dog, strong leadership is whats needed , not theorising and slavish adherence to traing manuals.or of course I might just be talkin bollocks.

Greyhound Rescue Wales. They'll have a record somewhere I've no doubt.

The advice I posted was not to use a shock collar, because I don't think they are necessary unless the dog is old and set in it's ways, and that there is no set time for a dog being stock-broken. I know - heinous heresy, isn't it?

Chill guys, I'm away for now.

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

Greyhound Rescue Wales. They'll have a record somewhere I've no doubt.

The advice I posted was not to use a shock collar, because I don't think they are necessary unless the dog is old and set in it's ways, and that there is no set time for a dog being stock-broken. I know - heinous heresy, isn't it?

Chill guys, I'm away for now.

Dog needs rescued again - :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: