Help On Stock Breaking

extendable leads are crap, they encourage a dog to pull.

Never used one mate - never had the need...dogs - irrespective of their makeup should be stock broken as soon as they can get out and about...no ifs, buts or excuses...and having a 2.5 year old deerhound x that isn't stock broken is laughable and to make excuses for it is bordering on the ridiculous... :thumbs:

how dare you,jackie drayford word is gospel.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never read so much shit about training dogs in my life! Six months to stock train a dog, f**k me! should be able to do it in an afternoon! ok you need to be vigilant, with constant reminders but f****

Get back to your books mate! I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be dealing with idiots! And bye the way I've trained gun dogs and lurchers, I once trained a lurcher , just to see if it could be done,

There's some shit spoken on here mind you eh????   Top and bottom is, if you are still needing to put a dog on an extendable lead for stock breaking reminders at two-and-a-half years old you have fa

We have used a shock collar on all our dogs. It has worked perfectly and our dogs are around stock now without the collars. Have seen one used badly which was really damaged the dogs relationship with the owner. Used correctly it is just an extension of the lead and is definately not a quick fix. Used as a quick fix it just causes damage.

I take my dogs out with other dogs from around 12 weeks but keep them on the lead.If they so much as look at a sheep i stop,kneel down,point at them and give them a verbal bollocking.This is the way i was shown how to do it when i first started in the late 70s and any dog ive had from a pup has never chased sheep.They soon learn sheep are not on the menu.The only dogs ive ever had any bother with are dogs ive got that are not pups which is why i rarley take anything other than a pup on.If its an older dog ie like the one mentioned at 12 month.Keep them on the lead and walk through a field with sheep in and it the dog looks or shows interest then im afraid it needs a slap.Im not talking battering or kicking it but a tug on the lead and a slap across the chops and told of,let it know how disspleased you are coz at the end of the day its something that needs stopped as a dog that chases sheep is good for nowt.Also praise it when it does good.Theres no need for shock collars though.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A did that last time but last night a thought he wasn't for chasing them n he did

run him at a few rabbits were there is sheep he prob take no notice of them..but if he does then let him know your not having it

tbh mate this is one of the worst bits of advise i have read on here (apart from waiting 2 year to stock break) what will be the the out come if this dog misses the rabbit he will look else where and in this case it will be the sheep i personally could not keep a dog that even showed the slightest interest in sheep nearly all my permission has sheep on so its a must for me as soon as the dogs jabbed its in the field with them ive never had any bother stock breaking if you instill this in to your dog at an early age then there should be no problem only last night i walked my dog through a field of lambs and he never once caused me any concern although i will never become ignorant to the fact he could cause alot of damage

taz your a bull shitter can you give me a valid excuse for leaving the stock breaking so long with the sacred deer hound x

• Like 2

A did that last time but last night a thought he wasn't for chasing them n he did

run him at a few rabbits were there is sheep he prob take no notice of them..but if he does then let him know your not having it

tbh mate this is one of the worst bits of advise i have read on here (apart from waiting 2 year to stock break) what will be the the out come if this dog misses the rabbit he will look else where and in this case it will be the sheep i personally could not keep a dog that even showed the slightest interest in sheep nearly all my permission has sheep on so its a must for me as soon as the dogs jabbed its in the field with them ive never had any bother stock breaking if you instill this in to your dog at an early age then there should be no problem only last night i walked my dog through a field of lambs and he never once caused me any concern although i will never become ignorant to the fact he could cause alot of damage

taz your a bull shitter can you give me a valid excuse for leaving the stock breaking so long with the sacred deer hound x

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

• Like 1