Help On Stock Breaking

I live in ayrshire my dog is 1yr old 3/4 grey 1/4 collie was out a walk last night had dog off lead he seen sheep there were about 50 or more anyway I tried to stock break him but its just not happening on lead he shows no interest but soon as he is off boom he's off he's not attacking them just running around or in amongst them chasing them is anyone close who can give me a hand or some really good advice he looked at the sheep last night and didn't even show interest at all that's why a had him off lead but he was off soon as he lead was clicked off cheers guys

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never read so much shit about training dogs in my life! Six months to stock train a dog, f**k me! should be able to do it in an afternoon! ok you need to be vigilant, with constant reminders but f****

Get back to your books mate! I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be dealing with idiots! And bye the way I've trained gun dogs and lurchers, I once trained a lurcher , just to see if it could be done,

There's some shit spoken on here mind you eh????   Top and bottom is, if you are still needing to put a dog on an extendable lead for stock breaking reminders at two-and-a-half years old you have fa

get them out with a stock broken dog,keep them on the lead and just walk in amongst the sheep so they watch the other dog of the lead.then if you think the dog is showing no interest put him on an exstendable dog lead that way you still have control over your dog if he decides to chase :thumbs:

get them out with a stock broken dog,keep them on the lead and just walk in amongst the sheep so they watch the other dog of the lead.then if you think the dog is showing no interest put him on an exstendable dog lead that way you still have control over your dog if he decides to chase :thumbs:

thanks it's a nightmare

A did that last time but last night a thought he wasn't for chasing them n he did

run him at a few rabbits were there is sheep he prob take no notice of them..but if he does then let him know your not having it Edited by Banter

keep him on the lead for now around any stock, if he even as much as looks at them give him a sharp tug on the lead and a firm NO, get him out as much as you can.

This works - don't forget to praise the dog if he goes through sheep or lambs without bothering them.

Mine is still learning but fine with new lambs jumping around 2 feet away from him. He's on an extendable lead at the moment but will come off that in the next few months. He's very excited by rabbits, but not sheep, but I wouldn't trust him not to chase if he was off the lead and the sheep were running.

Forget the shock collar - it's not necessary, except perhaps for an older dog. It takes time to stock-train a dog and your dog is only a year old. It's not a nightmare - it's part of your dog's training and you bonding with the dog.

Shock collars won't help bonding - they may make a dog submissive, but who wants a submissive dog?

Edited by Taz-n-Lily
  • Like 1