i just reduce the amount of fresh meat by half and increase there pasta by the same amount throughout the off season, then start to steadily increase the meat and decrease the pasta as i step up there excercise towards the start of the forecoming season. australian puppy is a good allround complete to mix with minced raw meat for pups up to 12 months :thumbs:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be feeding a growing pup more than 22% protein for sure...but for mature adults I always lower protein after the season finishes and add a wee bit more carbs, brown bread, pasta, rice etc just to

I keep my dogs on the same diet all year round as even in the off season we are out every day mooching for miles.   They will get extra grub if they've had a big session, usually in the form of extr

mate i just cut the high protein meal down to wat your useing about 21 precent and not as much red meat more the tripe they dont need to much protein this time of year unless ya dont stop lol

Posted Images

All three of my dogs are pets as well as workers and threyll never be locked away in a kennel for days, let alone months. Nothing against people keeping their dogs in pens, solely as workers its just not the way i do things. I got myself an adult 1/4 collie whippet that had been kept as a pet a few months ago and it doesnt look like ill ever make a worker out of him. He's always injured and after about 70 slips has only caught 5 or 6 rabbits. He's seriously fast but overshoots everytime and doesnt seem to have very good brakes or turning ability. Most people would of got shot by now but its not in me to do that. Probably use him for some summer lure coursing and mouching but the poor things settled with me and the other jooks so he'll stay as a pet for the rest of his days. Unless of course next season the penny drops for him.

I'll still be mouching with all 3 dogs and maybe some lure coursing but i just dont know if they need such high protein for mouching?? Run after run on the lamp takes it out of them so much more than just free running so i will probably get the pup on high protein food and the other 2 on the 22% theyre on now until maybe august when i start really getting them in shape. Might even give that red mills a try if its 33%.

All three of my dogs are pets as well as workers and threyll never be locked away in a kennel for days, let alone months. Nothing against people keeping their dogs in pens, solely as workers its just not the way i do things. I got myself an adult 1/4 collie whippet that had been kept as a pet a few months ago and it doesnt look like ill ever make a worker out of him. He's always injured and after about 70 slips has only caught 5 or 6 rabbits. He's seriously fast but overshoots everytime and doesnt seem to have very good brakes or turning ability. Most people would of got shot by now but its not in me to do that. Probably use him for some summer lure coursing and mouching but the poor things settled with me and the other jooks so he'll stay as a pet for the rest of his days. Unless of course next season the penny drops for him.

I'll still be mouching with all 3 dogs and maybe some lure coursing but i just dont know if they need such high protein for mouching?? Run after run on the lamp takes it out of them so much more than just free running so i will probably get the pup on high protein food and the other 2 on the 22% theyre on now until maybe august when i start really getting them in shape. Might even give that red mills a try if its 33%.

just because dogs are kenneled and not lamped during the off season, doesnt mean there stuck in kennels 24/7 mine are walked morning and night plus get an hour or so free running everyday, but non of this will keep them fit enough for a full nights lamping, that explosive take off, time after time takes it out of a dog thats not physically prepared for it.

This is Rocky, apparently hes 1/4 border collie and 3/4 laguna. And apparently hes about 21 months old but judging by the state of his teeth, his incredibly slow learning capabilities and how stiff he is after a night on the lamp i'd say hes more like 4 or 5. One of the worst rabbiting dogs youll ever find lol but hes going nowhere

post-74321-0-34641600-1364834093_thumb.jpg

just because dogs are kenneled and not lamped during the off season, doesnt mean there stuck in kennels 24/7 mine are walked morning and night plus get an hour or so free running everyday, but non of this will keep them fit enough for a full nights lamping, that explosive take off, time after time takes it out of a dog thats not physically prepared for it.

No i know it doesnt mean that mate, but i know people who it actually does mean that for unfortunately. I've got mates whos kennels are better than some of the flats ive lived in and whos dogs are fed a better diet than i'll ever eat. But i also know a few people who keep their dogs in shitty little pens or sheds and literally only take them out to go lamping

This is Rocky, apparently hes 1/4 border collie and 3/4 laguna. And apparently hes about 21 months old but judging by the state of his teeth, his incredibly slow learning capabilities and how stiff he is after a night on the lamp i'd say hes more like 4 or 5. One of the worst rabbiting dogs youll ever find lol but hes going nowhere

attachicon.gifrock.jpg

teeth dont really prove alot mate once a dog gets past 12 months as diet will play a part, for what its worth my best lamping dog was shocking day and night untill he was over 2 :laugh: i have a dog who`s 11 and still lamps regular without any aches and pains infact the youngest here is 6 this year, its all about fitness :thumbs:

Well maybe he'll get the hang of it eventually then, i'll keep trying with him either way cos he loves it. theres been 3 or 4 times when hes run perfectly holding back and waiting for the right time to strike but 90% of the time he'll run flat out in a straight line towards the rabbit only to be completely made a mug of when the rabbit turns and he ends up 50 yards away before he manages to turn around. I'd like to think he's only young still but to be honest i really cant see it, has a lot of characteristics of an older dog

Well maybe he'll get the hang of it eventually then, i'll keep trying with him either way cos he loves it. theres been 3 or 4 times when hes run perfectly holding back and waiting for the right time to strike but 90% of the time he'll run flat out in a straight line towards the rabbit only to be completely made a mug of when the rabbit turns and he ends up 50 yards away before he manages to turn around. I'd like to think he's only young still but to be honest i really cant see it, has a lot of characteristics of an older dog

a few early season walked up squatters will boost his confidence, keep letting him get mugged will do him no good. if he will retrieve make a chunk of rubber on a rope up and throw it for him to chase, it will hone his strike and mimick slipping on the lamp.

a few early season walked up squatters will boost his confidence, keep letting him get mugged will do him no good. if he will retrieve make a chunk of rubber on a rope up and throw it for him to chase, it will hone his strike and mimick slipping on the lamp.

To be honest i havent really given him anything other than squatters or sitters right in the middle of a huge field. Been lamping somewhere thats not really been lamped, my little chihuahua X been killing nearly everything hes been slipped on but rocky overshoots so much that he can never make the ground back up. He takes so long to put the brakes on and change direction its so frustrating to watch. Especially as every now and then when i walk him he'll go on a mad one running through the long grass with a ball in his mouth chucking it in the air and catching it all while hes running at full speed chopping and changing direction like a cat. For some reason he doesnt seem to know what hes capable of on the lamp. so incredibly frustrating ive put so much time in!

To be honest i havent really given him anything other than squatters or sitters right in the middle of a huge field. Been lamping somewhere thats not really been lamped, my little chihuahua X been killing nearly everything hes been slipped on but rocky overshoots so much that he can never make the ground back up. He takes so long to put the brakes on and change direction its so frustrating to watch. Especially as every now and then when i walk him he'll go on a mad one running through the long grass with a ball in his mouth chucking it in the air and catching it all while hes running at full speed chopping and changing direction like a cat. For some reason he doesnt seem to know what hes capable of on the lamp. so incredibly frustrating ive put so much time in!

confidence is the key however you gain it :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...