Some Ideas As To What Would Be Best For Me

I am looking into getting a puppy spaniel and I would like to do some thing with her as she comes from working parents. I am not wanting to shoot any thing as personally it isnt for me, but I would like her to flush the animals out maybe for some one else to shoot or trap them or just to let her flush them up into the air. I enjoy photography and walking. I have a lurcher but she is very spoilt and fails to grasp any comands maybe its me with her but she is very dence, we also have a bullakita cross who is starting his training and is a smart little chap. so maybe I could encourge them into it as well as the spaniel. I think I would like a group activity. I am not into fishing as I wouldnt like to sit still for hour need to be active. help please

I have been told by alot of people that I should start her lamping but I am unsure of how to do this she is 1 1/2 years old she is very gentle girl. she is very fast build like a greyhound she is saluki cross greyhound. she knows her recall and is very good at it

Edited by lillylau

I have been told by alot of people that I should start her lamping but I am unsure of how to do this she is 1 1/2 years old she is very gentle girl. she is very fast build like a greyhound she is saluki cross greyhound. she knows her recall and is very good at it

a saluki x grey would be a long dog mate not a lurcher and lamping is not hard basics things needed lamp boots dog and dog lead

If you honestly want a reply to "what would be best for me" then I'd say don't get another dog until you've sorted the ones you already have.

You say you've got a lurcher you don't know what to do with and a bullxakita just started training, why add another do?

Especially as from what your saying a gundog might not be the dog for. What's the rush ?

• Like 3

there is no rush. my long dog is my baby &( I thought she was a lurcher) as I am new to hunting site. She is very much our pet not a worker. the bull akita is also a family pet but he used more for protection to gaurd our house. I spend about 90% of my time with my dogs do you ? As far as I am concered they are sorted dont get your comment. I was only asking a question as I was thinking of starting to do some of this as a hobby nothing more.

Not having a dig just tryin to answer your question honestly. Especially after saying your not interested in shooting / hunting yourself. You can still do it but personally think it kinda defeats the point.

You could do some lurcher racing with your "baby" tho ?

yes I could if I wanted to. I dont want to kill or shoot any thing. I just thought if I was to get a spaniel it would be nice for the dog. but I be doing flyball and agility with the lurcher again in the spring and if I was to get a pup with that also when I felt the time was right for him/her.

yes I could if I wanted to. I dont want to kill or shoot any thing. I just thought if I was to get a spaniel it would be nice for the dog. but I be doing flyball and agility with the lurcher again in the spring and if I was to get a pup with that also when I felt the time was right for him/her.

If you don't want to kill anything don't hunt...

:thumbs:

but just to get it right,you're getting a new dog anyway,and want an activity?

obedience,you'll need it with a working spaniel i think,especially if you plan on keeping it as a pet.

• Like 1

Spaniels are hardwork ..well I find them to busy for me. You could join a gundog training group and do field trials _ wouldn't need to kill nowt then or working trials ..where you deffo wont need to kill nothing. Look them up see what you think -good luck

Sorry thought you meant you didnt want to shoot but wanted to hunt.what about lure coursing or racing for the lurcher.thought you said you were thinking of starting the lurcher lamping.do you mind if they catch the odd one or two?

Lillylau Can i ask you someting, and please dont take it personally or think im having a dig because im not. Im just curious, you have plainly stated you have no intention of working your lurcher or future spaniel, or no desire to hunt at all, yet you have joined a hunting forum and asked for advise. Like i say not having a dig just curious thats all, cheers hh