thanks! :thumbs: i've been out this morning cutting a variety of wood to experiment with,is there a way of speeding up the drying? i saw on youtube somone baking them in the oven is this ok? is there anywhere where i can find step by step intructions on making catapults? im pretty sure how im going to do this but any extra help is welcomed! cheers rob!

I wouldn't use an oven to dry forks, it will more than likely result in the forks cracking. Some people use microwave ovens but that can easily result in a broken microwave as I once found out. The best way to dry a fork is to cut it a little longer than needed and to dry it slowly, placing them near a hot stove is a good way. Cutting them a little longer helps as if the fork does split at the ends then that section can easily be cut off.

Newt wrong with MDF to get you started!

Super easy to work with and offcuts are 10p or so from b&q.

MDF isn't very strong, it's also no good when damp and the dust is very harmful which makes working with it unpleasant. We have been through this before BPR: http://slingshotforum.com/topic/20773-mdf-for-catapults/

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid pine and other softwoods, and even some hardwoods like a mahogany 1 i made took a mild fork strike and the whole fork snapped off and can be dangerous, a good tough all rounder is 18mm birch 13 ply plywood or multiplex as some call it..... its not very cheap but 1 board of 8' x 4' would last you a very long time and this stuff is easy to work comes out brilliant and finishes are very professional.

It also takes all knocks and bumps without the worry of it snapping and fork hits barely show but small dents can be steamed over a boiling kettle spout and they raise up and can be sanded away as if they was'nt there .....

Deano