BULL GREYHOUND

Guest elstudro1986

Guest elstudro1986

NOW obviously i am a novice and i purchased my bullyx for charlie as there are a few kicking around here but without sounding like an amature what else they good for just i was thinking are they too big for bunnies, but possibly ok for hares etc etc

my dogs fathet was a first cross bullxgrey standing around 26 1/2" tts and the bitch was also a first cross standing around 23" so i presume mine is going to make the 23-24 mark he is only 13 weeks but is already just over 15"

regards mick

post-7746-1185627988.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest FOXDOG

Well your dog is a second generation 1/2 x so it should be more racey than a 1st x. :) It will obviously not be the best rabbit dog to ever live but dont worry it will still put a few in the bag :thumbs: It will most likely not even put a bend on daytime hares but it could bag a few, however this cross will NEVER be a hare dog :D It will be most suited to fox and deer but remember just because its a bull x dont mean its goin to kill foxes :cry: Alot of dogs dont like getting their faced pierced by old charlie :boxing::thumbdown: What I would advise you to do is get the pup retrieving balls and other things, do it for about 10 minutes as pups get bored very easy :D All the best with your pup mate :toast:

Guest FOXDOG
No reason why it shouldn't make a decent rabbiting dog too. :thumbs:

:yes::good:

MOLL.

Well that depends what you call a rabbiting dog :D

a dog that can catch rabbits consistently

Yes and a 1/2 cross bull grey is not a rabbiting dog. :bye: You bring one on to ground full of lamp shy rabbits and the dog wont get 10 rabbits :cry: And im not slating bull x s, I keep them but they are not out and out rabbit dogs and if thats all they will tackle.. well they should go to the fields in the sky :thumbs:

Edited by FOXDOG

MOLL.

Yes and a 1/2 cross bull grey is not a rabbiting dog. :bye: You bring one on to ground full of lamp shy rabbits and the dog wont get 10 rabbits :cry: And im not slating bull x s, I keep them but they are not out and out rabbit dogs and if thats all they will tackle.. well they should go to the fields in the sky :thumbs:

no they are not out and out rabbiting dogs but for a beginner it is a perfect all rounder he is learning and needs to concentrate on one dogs training at a time rather than have a different dog for each game. I'm sure his bull x will catch more than enough bunnies to keep him happy

i have

1 collie x

a bull x

2 pure grays

the collie x is the best by far on rabbits but the bull x has his fair share

Guest MOLLY

MOLL.

1st cross.....

post-1820-1185634512_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1185634572_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1185634953_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1185635122_thumb.jpg

MOLL.

Guest FOXDOG

Yes molly well done but I bet they hadnt been lamped before, with a lot of squatters, any dog good at squatters on unlamped bunnies will catch a good bag, but 1st x bulls are not rabbit dogs :thumbdown:

Guest MOLLY

That dog was as good as any average rabbiting dog, no world beater, her highest one night was 36 outa 46 runs.

1st and last picture, heavily poached land.

Other pictures, Lord Woodgas estate, these rabbits are lamped, shot, ferreted all year round more regular than any permission.

post-1820-1185635863_thumb.jpg

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY

Like alot of places FOXDOG, some are lamp shy, some are not, average rabbits for an average rabbiting dog, better on the lamp than daytime but with the added bonus of being able to take other game. I dont need a world beater just a dog who can keep the freezer topped up.

Several people from here have seen her work and several people from here have been on the same permission, im sure they will all tell you the same. The majority of the rabbits from that permission are as lamp shy as any other rabbit at certain times of the year.

She is retired now, i just hope one day ill get another dog just like her, would'nt change a thing about her or her capabilities :thumbs:

MOLL.

Would never have more than a 1/4 Bull in a dog as they lose alot of speed and the Bull blood is quite dominant through the generations.Know a guy with a Bull x Greyhound and has had alot of muscle/shoulder injury problems,As Bull crosses tend to be quite muscle bound

Did you not think about asking this before getting your dog? I'd spent months reading about all sorts of dogs in the threads from the experienced members on here and narrowed it down to two breeds, one was the bullX and I have now Lily, confident, that with the input, she'll cover everything I'll ever hunt.

Your question reminds me of the ongoing "Airgunners" debate............., .177 or .22, horses for courses, I use both to cover all and if I ever thought that Lily lacked in the smaller calibre, then I'd have an extra addition to the pack.

Al :drink: