When is a patterdale a Fell or a Lakie cross

QUOTE(Fell & Moorland WTC SW area @ Aug 15 2005, 11:39 AM)

Can a Bedlington Fan explain to me, when is a Bedlington not a Bedlington? I know from many previous discussions over the Years that all Dogs have different Breeds in them in Days gone by, during their foundation Years. When is a Bedlington a pure one 'so to speak', with Bedlington from the great,great grand Parents or further back?

Lakeland, Border and Bedlington crosses of various percentages seem to be the norm. Are these considered to be pure Bedlingtons? If they are not considered pure, then any posts about working Bedlingtons cannot include these crosses?

It seems to be the only Breed where crosses don't make it a crossbred. A Patterdale isn't one if it has Russell in it's make up, it is a Patt/Russell cross. A Border with Lakeland in it is a Border/Lakie cross. I know about how different Breeds were crossed during foundation periods to form a Breed of Dog, but Bedlingtons have been crossed up very recently (in Breed terms) and aren't described as crossbred.

Bedlington fans please explain

The above topic was posted on the working bedlington thread, can the same question be asked on Lakeland crosses, Border crosses, Patterdale cross, Russell cross,

What u call them when you breed the first cross back to a'pure' type... When do you stop calling them crosses.

Please note this is not a dig at anyone's breeding just a new topic open for discussion and hopefully makes for interesting reading ?.

i think that "Looks" decide what "type" of terrier it is in many instances. Although we like to research the dogs background and bloodlines, unfortunate,ly these are not always correct as "breeders" have bought in pups not even related to their dogs just to sell and make a few quid.....is a rough coated patt a fell??? and is a smooth fell a patt???...i think it is in the eye of the beholder really....just a name IMHO

Guest Fell & Moorland WTC SW area

I am not too sure of the answer to your question Jack, as various Names are used to explain the types you speak of.

However the Bedlington as a so called OFFICIAL Breed, recognised by Kennel Clubs all over the World. The types you have asked about are different types of 'working terrier' crossed up throughout the Years. The only one recognised as an official Breed is the Lakeland. The rest are types of working terrier.

The majority seem to call Blacks Patterdales, Reds and Black and Tans Lakelends, and all the combinations in between get called what they resemble I guess.

My reason for my question was the fact that a recognised Breed has various percentages of crosses in them, and when is it actually considered a pure Bedlington? In that question I mean Bedlington right the way back.

The question you are asking Jack depends on where you come from in the Country it would seem, whereas a Bedlinton is a Bedlington anywhere in the World, or is it?

:whistle:

I am not too sure of the answer to your question Jack, as various Names are used to explain the types you speak of.

However the Bedlington as a so called OFFICIAL Breed, recognised by Kennel Clubs all over the World. The types you have asked about are different types of 'working terrier' crossed up throughout the Years. The only one recognised as an official Breed is the Lakeland. The rest are types of working terrier.

The majority seem to call Blacks Patterdales, Reds and Black and Tans Lakelends, and all the combinations in between get called what they resemble I guess.

My reason for my question was the fact that a recognised Breed has various percentages of crosses in them, and when is it actually considered a pure Bedlington? In that question I mean Bedlington right the way back.

The question you are asking Jack depends on where you come from in the Country it would seem, whereas a Bedlinton is a Bedlington anywhere in the World, or is it?

You asked the question, mine aren't classed as KC registered they are Working Bedlingtons or working Bedlington TYPE....

To quote you "If they are not considered pure, then any posts about working Bedlingtons cannot include these crosses?"

WHY NOT ????? take a vote on it, any readers agree or disagree

What you are actually saying is that I shouldn't have started the thread about working Bedlingtons because they are outcrossed and have no place anywhere ??

To quote you again "The only one recognised as an official Breed is the Lakeland. The rest are types of working terrier." So anyone discussing Lakelands have no place if they are not purebred KC registered Lakelands?

What's your involvement with Bedlingtons Fell & Moorland WTC SW area ?

You asked the question, mine aren't classed as KC registered they are Working Bedlingtons or working Bedlington TYPE....

To quote you "If they are not considered pure, then any posts about working Bedlingtons cannot include these crosses?"

WHY NOT ????? take a vote on it, any readers agree or disagree

What you are actually saying is that I shouldn't have started the thread about working Bedlingtons because they are outcrossed and have no place anywhere ??

To quote you again "The only one recognised as an official Breed is the Lakeland. The rest are types of working terrier." So anyone discussing Lakelands have no place if they are not purebred KC registered Lakelands?

What's your involvement with Bedlingtons Fell & Moorland WTC SW area ?