Night Time Rabbit

Got this rabbit two weeks back on my permission at an equestrian farm. I used my tench regged BSA Scorpion SS .177 with HW silencer topped off with a hawke nite-eye 3-12x50AO scope shooting crosman premier heavies at 11.6fpe. This was a standing shot at 20 yards - right behind the eye. Most my shooting at night is done between 30-40 yards in the sitting position. I take the shot of my knee for stability. So I was proud of this one. I couldn't take this one in the sitting position though as it was behind a small log and on top of a mound so I had to stand. The scorpion is so pointable and accurate though I'll be doing this more again if I have to.

The rabbit just froze in the red light of my cree led torch. Only a cheap led torch off the auction site but it has adjustable focus and pressure button. Easily spots with white light out to 90 or so yards - down to 50 with a GL2 red filter on but this is plenty enough for 12fpe air.

Scope set to x9 zoom, 1 mildot hold under, trigger squeezed, pellet hit the mark = rabbit just slumped over. I have a rowan engineering aftermarket trigger fitted so the two stages are nice, light and smooth.

I've been out since and had a few but not taken any pictures. Plenty about where I am at the minute - should start getting even better soon.

Danny

post-35560-0-27842200-1363441850_thumb.jpg

Edited by danco1987

Nice. How do you like the nite-eye ?

Yeah its a nice scope, very clear image and good field of view. Love the illuminated reticle, very fine and doesn't light up the whole scope tube so perfect for lamping. I have fitted a rubber scope extension which is the exact length of the eye relief required so it speeds up target acquisition in field.

Nice one been looking at the same torch wasn't sure if it was any good but might go for it where u get the filter?

Yeah its really good. Its a Saik SA-6 LED Cree torch with adjustable/zoomable focus. It runs on a 18650 rechargeable battery, has a pressure switch and only has one mode. It came with an Ultrafire 501b pressure switch which fits. Got it for a bargain £14 and as it has a 35mm torch head, I added a Deben GL2 red flip up filter which cost £8 - works a treat. I compared it with a GL2 torch and its far superior and much cheaper. Last ages, had it out for 4 hours one night and saw no change in the brightness.

Get yourself a torch with adjustable focus - very important. Use a wide light to scan the field and for close range shooting. A more focused beam allows for longer range shots. Not so important when you first start lamping a permission but as the rabbits wise up, its important to have as little light as possible shining on them and you can only do this with a zoomable torch.

Also if you're looking for a CREE LED torch avoid the those torches with multiple modes as they are a waste of time. Each time you turn on it switches between bright/dull/strobe etc, not what you want when lamping. I bought one before I got my saik and now use it for spotting and when out working the dog as it isn't suitable for mounting.

The seller on ebay I bought it from is called sellinthese, might be worth messaging him asking for a single mode one. He has a few saik torches for sale but they're all multi mode ones.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sellinthese?_trksid=p2047675.l2563