Who Would Say They Have A Quiet Deer Rifle?

I have a few places that keep horses, and one that backs houses, I use a 243 with jet z and it's not the quietest but it's got a nice crack. So I went to try a T12 and to be honest I thought they were about the same would anyone out there say their set up is quiet?

If so what do you have? And is it quiet?

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter what you stick on the end of your gun - you're shooting supersonic rounds that will always make a crack after they leave the gun.

222's are quieter than bigger cal's usually. 243 with a decent mod on it is about the next quietest thing. Mods all sound different but none are really quieter than others. All they really do is save your ears and confuse the animal as to where the shot came from.

I shoot in all sorts of weird and wonderful places. My two main calibres are .223 and .243, both have P8 mods on them. I find that the actual noise made depends upon the firing position in relation to a host of things. Trees, buildings. open spaces all make a difference. Don't forget as well that when firing you are only two feet or so from the end of the moderator. The further you get away the quieter it will seem. If the bullet passes you it will still make a crack because it is breaking the sound barrier. To put it in perspective. I was called to shoot a fox being a pain in the rear end at a house. My shooting position was twenty feet from their summer house. When I shot charlie I expected the curtains to twitch, nothing, I had to go and knock on the door to tell them that the job was done.

• 2 weeks later...