Not Again.!!

Came home from work this evening to find one of my young kits dead and partially eaten by her brothers & sisters. :no::no::no:

This is the second time this as happened to me this year, after the discovery of the dead kits two weeks ago, I separated my youngsters and housed them together without their mums, they are / were eating dry food and fresh rabbits.

Everything was fine until today, last night I had seven apparently healthy kits, 5 Jills, 2 Hobs, on checking this evening I found the ¾ eaten remains of a sandy jill laying away from the living quarters partially covered by hay. :no::no::no:

I cannot tell you how upset I am to find this again. I cannot believe that this as happened again. The court is secure, dry, draft free and the rabbit / pigeon is given after 8pm every evening. There is plenty of fresh water and dry bedding. I’m really at my wits end to find out what’s going on.

ANY suggests ( proper and intelligent :signthankspin: ) please.

only reason i can see is that there might be something wrong with the kits that we cant see they can tell when somethings wrong i hope you don't lose any more its very upsetting when you do i was going to suggest a postmortem but if it was 3/4 eaten it wont be possible

Came home from work this evening to find one of my young kits dead and partially eaten by her brothers & sisters. :no::no::no:

This is the second time this as happened to me this year, after the discovery of the dead kits two weeks ago, I separated my youngsters and housed them together without their mums, they are / were eating dry food and fresh rabbits.

Everything was fine until today, last night I had seven apparently healthy kits, 5 Jills, 2 Hobs, on checking this evening I found the ¾ eaten remains of a sandy jill laying away from the living quarters partially covered by hay. :no::no::no:

I cannot tell you how upset I am to find this again. I cannot believe that this as happened again. The court is secure, dry, draft free and the rabbit / pigeon is given after 8pm every evening. There is plenty of fresh water and dry bedding. I’m really at my wits end to find out what’s going on.

what time do you take the meat out?

Its a common thing for ferrets to eat their fallen brethen as it is for the mother to do the same. most of the time the kit has died from something or other before the others eat or partialy eat it. funny thing about the musterlid family (stoats ect) eating a fallen litter mate helps take the good nutriants from the fallen animal but also to start the imune system building a tolerance to what ever it was that killed the said kit within the survivors. not nice for us to see and doesnt help us to find out what killed it in the first place. botulisim bug sees many a ferret off sadly

I had it a few years ago where the kits ate one of their brothers :( well just half of his head in a perfectly straight line down the middle and they had cleaned out his skull the dirty little sods, it was the one I wanted to keep too.

gnipper

Depending on the quantity usually in the morning before I leave for work, around 5.30am. If it’s bits & pieces of meat I will often take it out that same night after they have had their fill, there is always dry food if required.

Terrier Stuff, really glad to hear that, I had hoped to call you and find out how the Hobs are going, sadly I lost your number.

i had similar a few years ago, it turned out that the rabbit carcase i put in had several tapeworm sacs under the skin, three of the kits were unfortunate enough to eat the eggs and bingo.....tapeworm ! when the vet examined them he found the worms almost completely filled the guts of the kits, he reckoned they had died through lack of nutrition but i still don't believe him......i no longer feed full carcase, i prepare the rabbit first just to be safe

Depending on the quantity usually in the morning before I leave for work, around 5.30am. If it’s bits & pieces of meat I will often take it out that same night after they have had their fill, there is always dry food if required.

Terrier Stuff, really glad to hear that, I had hoped to call you and find out how the Hobs are going, sadly I lost your number.

smudger better to put the meat in the evening when it's cooler,less chance of it going off,botulism will take hold quickly on meat.put a little less in than you do now so there's none to be taken out and see how it goes.

oh and throw the dry shit in the bin.