Help!!!!

try not to make eye contact with him when your calling him , my whippet pup 5 months old now was doing same thing last month now hes almost fine .

its hard to explain completely what i mean about no eye contact but i use it on horses also works a treat , also i put him outside with the other dogs and ignored him for a few days i then started the no eye contact and walkin off clicking my fingers with plenty of praise when he comes in, i,m not saying the no eye contact thing is gonna work but it worked with me or it was pure luck , 1st for me trying it on a dog

think about it when they are cringing away from you where are there eyes ? looking at yours ...

anyhow good luck what ever you try , he'll probably come good later in his own time but mine was a method that worked inside 3 weeks .....

ps i only let him in for an hour per day now sometimes doesnt get in at all

Edited by gleninnes
  • Like 1

Re-reading, it sounds like the pup may have been punished for coming in when it was younger. I've done this before when a dog finally decided to come in, and its a big mistake, because the dog knows that when it eventually comes back it will get bollocked or worse.

Some good advice here.

Patience and a long rope and treats are the way forward. The no-eye contact is good as well.

The "let him know who's boss" advice is pish, and if a dog is already cowed in certain situations will just make the dog worse (imo :thumbs: ).

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.

• Like 2

My friend had this problem with a saluki whip grey would run and hide or quiver in the corner decided to leave it plenty of food down and totally ignored it unless it come over for attention it's now the most command perfect dog I know off. A t b with him mate

Edited by silentpoacher

Airgun guy I'm not a quitter,just thought id put it up here and see what response,Sometimes you cannot see the wood through the trees :thumbs:

Taz all puppies are immature,Think i know what your saying though but there might be more to it than that.

Dog magic,Always thought theres no point telling a dog to do something it ain't going to do or your teaching it to ignore you,Trouble with this one you can be playing with him one minute call him a second later and he will act like you've just beat him.But yes might join the extend able lead brigade.

Its not the extenda lead that is the trick mate, the extenda lead just forces him to do as you are asking. But once he is back to you IT IS THE BACON that convinces him that coming back is worth it ;)

i had a dog do this and there was no convincing her i got her from pup and tried everything and she was 2 whn one day i let her off she had a run then i called her she didnt come so i walkd all the way home and she didnt come back still and i got her back 5 days later when a mate said he found her wandering around

So you left the dog to wander around for 5 days, get a f***ing goldfish.

• Like 1

i had a dog do this and there was no convincing her i got her from pup and tried everything and she was 2 whn one day i let her off she had a run then i called her she didnt come so i walkd all the way home and she didnt come back still and i got her back 5 days later when a mate said he found her wandering around

That's not really great control though, is it?

• Like 1