Advice On Rifle Mounted Lamps Or Nv Route?

Hi All,

Have been trawling the forum pages as I am after a good night setup for my .17hmr. The main purpose will be rabbits and the occasional fox when in range.

I have read good reviews on the Light force striker however some bad reviews regarding wiring. I have then seen some of the high end deben series which seem a bit more compact but not a lot of user reviews about.

I am just after some educated opinions as to which set up is best around the £200 mark. cheaper is obviously better :D however I don't want to make the mistake of buying poor grade equipment and then having to fork out more in the long run.

Im thinking dimmable needs to be an option and lithium battery for longer use?

I currently use a homemade nv setup on my hw100 sub12 using a sony handycam and IR illuminators for ratting but this is too impractical and unsafe I believe for rimfire hunting.

Or would you advise to ditch the lamp method and go NV from the start i.e nightsite etc

the land i shoot is very flat (norfolk) and very open so tends to be rather difficult to get within air rifle range of targets so a decent beam is required.

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

Have been trawling the forum pages as I am after a good night setup for my .17hmr. The main purpose will be rabbits and the occasional fox when in range.

I have read good reviews on the Light force striker however some bad reviews regarding wiring. I have then seen some of the high end deben series which seem a bit more compact but not a lot of user reviews about.

I am just after some educated opinions as to which set up is best around the £200 mark. cheaper is obviously better :D however I don't want to make the mistake of buying poor grade equipment and then having to fork out more in the long run.

I currently use a homemade nv setup on my hw100 sub12 using a sony handycam and IR illuminators for ratting but this is too impractical and unsafe I believe for rimfire hunting.

Or would you advise to ditch the lamp method and go NV from the start i.e nightsite etc

the land i shoot is very flat (norfolk) and very open so tends to be rather difficult to get within air rifle range of targets so a decent beam is required.

Thanks in advance

The nightmarster 800 is a good one its light, good for for your 17hmr good in green or red led or if you want to stop with your sony handycam in nv for foxs or rabbits phone nite hunter is new ir laser is out of this world , I have one can see 500yrds like day light its up to you what your looking for

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

The nightmarster 800 is a good one its light, good for for your 17hmr good in green or red led or if you want to stop with your sony handycam in nv for foxs or rabbits phone nite hunter is new ir laser is out of this world , I have one can see 500yrds like day light its up to you what your looking for

I have the night master 800 with the white LED and it is well bright. You can use it for normal lamping. When you want to use the night vision you just change the white LED over for the I/R LED and away you go!. As an I/R this thing is clearer than the Firefy laser that comes with the Archer Starlight night vision add on, i like it!. It also has 3 settings and an extender tube so you can fit an extra battery when in night vision mode. I think the extra battery also works for the Red and Green LED's that you can get for the tarch but not for the White LED. For more info phone TacLight Tony, that's what i have him down as in my phone, on 01274 561856.

i would agree with the above, i,ve had a nightmaster 800 for a few months now, can see rabbits and foxes out to over 300 yards, got the red led in mine,very impressed, paid 215 for the torch, spare battery, extender tube and pressure switch, and red led, use it on my hmr and little 22, it,s great to be walking around with no battery on my back

Well I can not argue with 3 votes for the NM800!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Just had a look at some video reviews on the net and it does look ideal.

At the moment I could only afford to get one colour LED for it, and I have a 300mw IR illuminator for my air rifle set up so out of the white, red and yellow led's which would you say is best?

I have not lamp'd the land before so I am hoping the rabbits and foxes won't be too lamp shy but is it worth getting a coloured led from the offset just incase?

Thanks again.

Can I just say, I wish I had found this site 5 years ago as the information I have learnt from these forums in the past 2 days regarding hunting and fieldcraft is priceless.

Thanks to you all. Hopefully I will be able to help others out in the future

Cheers mate.

Ordered the red kit on sunday night and was hoping for delivery on Tuesday but it never came :(

Had a look at the delivery info of the website today and just realised they are on holiday until 11th march so the Rabbits and fox's will live to fight another day...or a few more days at least :laugh:

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is my first rifle mounted lamp and all I can say is that I am very pleased with it.

The distance i can see out to with the red led is more than enough for my hmr. I bought the turbo kit with the additional tube so you can run 2 batteries and i went out lamping for over 2 hours with no incident. Not entirely sure how long the batteries last for, maybe someone else can advise of that.

It is very sturdy and the build quality is impressive. I think the main benefit i can see is that you can buy the different led's for it. I will be getting the infra re led to use with my sony handy cam nv setup setup soon.

I would advise to also get the pressure gun mounted switch for it. And the rail and mount a above as the holder you get is ok but not the best.

If you need any other info let me know mate

Atb

Just got a laserware sub zero 100 laser designator i must say the range is awsome and its not spooking anything when on the right sized beam, concentrate the beam and it acts as a bird scarer in daylight used it to shift pidgeons off a field a few times now right out in the middle several hundred yards away...night time identification 400 yrds with the right scope light awsome and a 18650 battery last three hours... i would reccomend it

Just got a laserware sub zero 100 laser designator i must say the range is awsome and its not spooking anything when on the right sized beam, concentrate the beam and it acts as a bird scarer in daylight used it to shift pidgeons off a field a few times now right out in the middle several hundred yards away...night time identification 400 yrds with the right scope light awsome and a 18650 battery last three hours... i would reccomend it

does It spook Charlie or rabbits at night?