Puppy Training (Retrieving )

leave it then, just do lots of recall with (in) its play, bond with it the more it wants to be with you more it will come to with or with out anything in its mouth.! some are more natural at bringing back, and if alot of running dog in it can bit harder to do it. make it all a game, and prob when it gets its 1st rabbit it will piss off anyway lol, everything goes out of the window. recall titbit ..... take your time dont push it, my pup will bring back rabbits from 100yds if need be and not done no ret-training just lots of recall loads of play with him. they will do it dont push them

n7.jpg

20102.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention her breeding she is 1/4 bull 3/4 greyhound. I will carry on working on her recall which is good anyway she stays by my side without a lead and if she does wander off I just whistle her back and she comes straight back and I give her a tittbit .

I was having trouble at one point and some one mentioned tug training, now I cannot remember who wrote about it now. I think the principles was to have a "toy" possibly a stuffed sock and get the dog to hold it and play tug, but you mus also teach it dead or drop (or else you may end up with a streched piece of game) and this game they would apparently bring it back to you to play with. Now I don't know if it worked as mine clicked before I used the technique but work a chance.

Or down a corridor, play a game with dummy or toy and trow short distance and get the dog exited about it? It may or may not work, but don't push to hard.

If not working leave it a while

Atb

Good luck with the training mate I had same prob with my bull x won't retrieve back and can be a bit ignorant but now he will listen 1st tym so aint got the hang of retrieving ,, on the other hand my collie x is a completely different story will retrive to hand from where ever he caught it and he's 11 months.. If he don't catch he comes straight back anyway [BANNED TEXT] out so no need to call .. Try and over ur dog better than what's he got should retrieve to u in no time

Im on training my pup at the minute. I started off the first day i got him by playing with in my hallway with a little soft ball, getting his attention with it then throwing it, he automatically brought it back to me with it being such a confined space, I've done this for a few weeks now aswell as recall training and other bits like sit and stay little and often with plenty of praise. Today is the first time I've tried retrieving out in the field and he has retrieved the dummy back to me 3 times, he didn't come back straight away but near enough and i am well pleased with him. If i hadn't took the time to have a little mess about with him in the hallway i very much doubt that i would of come back from the fields today with the same result and smile on my face