Re: Re: Bbc Complaints

Just received this email back from the BBC.

Thank you for your further email regarding The One Show on 16 January. I note you were disappointed with our first response and I hope I can address your concerns here.

Following Miranda Krestovnikoff’s film about badger-baiting there was a studio discussion about wildlife crime. During this discussion Miranda accurately described a very specific practice - a blood sport in which participants use powerful lights and lurcher-style dogs to kill badgers, foxes and deer at night - as “lamping”. The practice described is illegal in Britain.

There was absolutely no suggestion, nor any intention to suggest, that the use of guns and/or the killing of other quarry in similar circumstances (a practice often used in estate management) is illegal. I should also point out that Miranda did not say that the practice was “new” as your transcript of her comments suggests.

Of course, it must be borne in mind that The One Show is a live, fast-moving programme which appeals to a very broad audience so we do not have time to explore every issue in as much depth as some viewers might like. Evidently this is a case in point and, as such, we are happy to offer clarification on The One Show website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tcw7

I should also add that we frequently include films and live discussions about rural affairs and often return to subjects we have featured previously so in the event that the subject of lamping comes up in future, we would be happy to reflect the fact that lamping is legal in certain circumstances.

If you would like to take your complaint further, you can contact Stage 2 of the complaints process, the BBC's Editorial Complaints Unit, within 20 working days, and they will carry out an independent investigation. You can email them at: ecu@bbc.co.uk , or alternatively write to them at the following address:

Editorial Complaints Unit
BBC Broadcast Centre
201 Wood Lane
London
W12 7TP

Should you choose to escalate your complaint we would ask that you include the reference number provided above in your correspondence.

Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch.

Best wishes,
Sandy Smith
Executive Editor, The One ShowThank you for your further email regarding The One Show on 16 January. I note you were disappointed with our first response and I hope I can address your concerns here.

Now ive just had a quick look back at it and it does seem that im wrong about the "new" part but that was certainly inferred, and besides thats not the main issue. Im going to re read it and see about getting another formal complaint off. I might email the local CA rep or what ever to see if that have anything to say on the matter.