Hi took my dog to the vets and he sad my dog has leptospirosis dos any one

Now [bANNED TEXT] it is he sed it comes from rats piss dog and told me to put her down

I seed no and 3 weeks on dog looks good eating and waking 3-4 mils a day

Has any won had this in ther dogs all best hedges1

I have had a dog die from it and if another one of mine got it..i would not be walking it for 3/4 miles a day 3wk's after recovering.. :blink: ..not that they ever recover from it anyway..the kidnies will likely be damaged for life..

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1

Your vets advised you to put the dog to sleep as it can pass this disease on through it's urine to you, your family, other dogs, other wildlife, people who come into contact with where your dog has pissed etc the list goes on. If you are walking your dog anywhere and it urinates then that is a hazardous area to anything that isn't innoculated against it. I couldn't live with knowing I am responsible for infecting folk and animals because my dog's pissed somewhere. Here are a few facts about it for you:

Leptospirosis is an infectious disease caused by bacteria. It can lead to potentially fatal infections of the kidney, liver, brain, lung or heart.

There are two common ways to develop leptospirosis:

Drinking or contact with water (such as by swimming, rafting or kayaking) or soil that has been contaminated by urine or body fluids of infected animals

Exposure to the urine or body fluids of infected animals

How can Leptospirosis be prevented?

There are several steps you can take to help prevent getting leptospirosis. These include:

See a veterinarian to get vaccines for your pets that can protect against this disease

Avoid contact with animal urine or body fluids, especially if there are any cuts or abrasion of the skin

Do not swim in, walk in, or swallow water that may contain animal urine

Wear protective clothing or footwear near soil or water that may be contaminated with animal urine

Best get knocking on a few doors and let the locals know to get their dogs innoculated if they walk in the same area you do and also if their kids play in the area to thoroughly weash their hands and not put them anywhere near their mouth. If you walk your dog across playing fields you need to inform the owners/council etc.

Edited by hutch6