-you talking first time do 10mins and walk? or a dog you have seen dug a few times and then give up,because you have not got down to them quick enough? or a f*****g wanker that puts a dog to ground with no intention of digging it?not all black dogs are machines-but most will work in the right hands-bad owners spoil lots of tidy dogs FACT.atb bobby :thumbs:

Edited by bobby blackheart
  • Like 1

The dogs iv seen spew have had a few steady digs but when they mixed a bit and come out a bit second best theyv spewd, could just be a bad line of dogs, as was mentiond earlier if dogs didnt make the grade years ago they wer culled but nowadays if dogs dont make the grade their bred from probably by another failure!!!! Nice to hear your views keep em commin, cheers lads

As far as im aware ey out of worker to worker stuff no special lines, could be cowincidence but its alot of black dogs at iv seen jib, ey start strong and spew, im fairly sure that if these dogs wer just steady bayers ey would last alot longer?

They will last longer baying, unless some divvy owner thinks thats not "game" enough and bullets it, makes me wonder how many really good dogs get passed on or shot by numptys that dont realise what theyve got? Depending what you call a good dog like?

My mate had a small black rough bitch,maybe 13lb tops, she worked week in week out, never got a lot of damage, and was allways on the nose, i never saw her jip/quit EVER, really honest little bitch, she was passed around until she was 2 1/2 yrs old, he got it free off another mate as a failed rabbiting dog, he said "i dont think it will work fox, give it a go, if its no good bullet it" lmfao, i bet that happens all the time, a good cull of terrier owners would sort the dogs out lol.

• Like 2

Round my way there seems to be alot of dogs thats quoted as 100% but turn out to be rubish!!!! Do you think this has been a case of bad breedin or early enterin? Av spoken to alot of the old terrier boys and they seem to think there wasnt so much shit around back in the day? What do you lads think? I find it quit disheartnin to think how much rubbish there is out there

you could say ime one of the older terrier men. and to be honest theres always bin shit about as you call them, and theres always bin good terriers. but there is a hell of a lot more people these days intrested in working terriers and not always the correct way or the patience to enter them the [bANNED TEXT] way so if its not instant succcess there moved on to some other fool along with the lies with it, basically a lot more people means a lot more terriers means a lot more rubbish. SOLUTION get a pup from proven stock if not sure on the parents ask to see them work before you part with your cash, this way your 90% sure to be on the [bANNED TEXT] tracks to owning a worker, even then in the wrong hands easy to spoil, like rubbish terriers theres rubbish dog men. good thing is, these people dont stay in the sport many years and soon find another intrest. THEN we have the shows and the show champions, i have won many championships, as have others, the people who wont pups from these winners without nowing the back ground of them. its unreal. rossetts bring big money, the show scene has grown and grown in the past 20 so years . all we can do is try keep it honest. but the worker is there, IF YOU DO YOUR HOME WORK.
  • Like 4

Well I don't think it's just one thing but many . You can say its money, bad owners , show ponys, not culling and so on . But for me one of the biggest problems is the ban ! What I means is not being able to enter your dog anywhere Without fear of being locked up ! When I was a kid I dug in allotments behind my estate on the school playing fields , railway banks and many places that I shouldn't have but the dogs got the work ! I don't think I would've got In to terrier work if I was young now . For a young lad that lived on a council estate that can't drive maybe only enough money for his bus fare and a bag of chips getting permission must almost seem impossible . oh by the way the young lad with only his bus fare was me and when I got on that bus I got some funny looks lol . My little mongrel terrier and me smothered in dirt carrying a spade but no one called the RSPCA or the old bill . So for me the one of the many reasons is that there's more terriers bred that will not get the graft . I mean out of all the terrier litters be that patts , jrt , borders, lakies, how many will be dug to ? Sorry for the long post lol.

• Like 2

How many times you heard so called terrier boys say.Yeah had a really good dig to my dog the other day he took some right stick,He got smashed to feck and so on.To many judge dogs by the punishment they've taken and the scars they possess Yeah 99% get bitten some worse then others some bay and some are mute but at the end of the day they forget about time to ground. Every body has different standards so the working lad who averages going out at weekends is never gonna have dogs what have seen the game lads who are employed in the job have.At the end of the day the true terrier and lurcher boys stay in the game the 10 minute wonders who bred from shit and hole end everything come and go.Just make sure which 1 of these you are and do your home work before having pups or dogs off em.As said before best of the best produces failures so you should already know what jiber x jiber produces.

• Like 2

Theres always going to be loads of shit about but the problem is how people grade that shit, theres loads of so called top class dogs about that just dont meet the proper dog mens standards, and that is the problem, everybody has different standards. if you've only ever seen average dogs work you've only got average dogs to compare to....

One thing that i have always noticed is that the best dog men always have a far higher percentage of good workers and thats because they set there standards high and stick to it no matter what... ;)

• Like 2

i agree with you lucky but these men dnt get these dogs overnite, many terriermen will agree that thay wud have a lot of failure well if they tell the truth that is! but selective breeding and cullining those who don't work can only be maximizing your chanses of producing workers.but as I said before this takes time and only the dedicated men have good/excellent dogs because the have put the hard graft in getting there atb d4g