What running dog ?

Hi, in a little while i will be looking to buy a dog, i was settled on the labrador but then thought something a bit faster could be usefull for lamping :) so is there a lab X that is fast enough for lamping ?

it needs to be good as a gundog aswell

leon

Edited by leon-b

Guest DALE_2

a post similar to this was just put on a few pages back , about crossing a gun dog ( lab/spanial ) ect to a greyhound ect , myself id like to see what one would be like ... but cant see many people mating them ... may be an accidental mating ... but as a planned mating :hmm: ...

Dale

never seen one so cant say for sure but even if you found a liiter, cause its a first cross you wont know to which one it will throw to, youll be very lucky if you pick a pup that will be bang in the middle good in both fields in this situation i would get two breeds one for each job rather than spend a year training a dog that has a good chance to be not what you want, also if its kept outside two would be company , if you find one let me know would love see pics and hear the out come

Edited by workindogz
Guest oldskool

there is a good video made by sporting days that have a reverse 3/4 wirehaired pointer 1/4greyhound... i thought it was quite a good dog.. he done a bit of lamping and he had it retreiving geese as well

Guest oldskool
there is a good video made by sporting days that have a reverse 3/4 wirehaired pointer 1/4greyhound... i thought it was quite a good dog.. he done a bit of lamping and he had it retreiving geese as well

Is Morris away??

yep, he's off on his holidays

Any decently bred lurcher that has a bit of Collie or other pastoral breeds in its make up can be trained to the gun no problem. Just train it as you would a gundog, maybe being somewhat less heavy handed than you might need to be with a Lab or Springer. My old Deer/Grey was trained to the gun though I wouldn't say that was the ideal cross as a gundog. :D

The big advantage with a lurcher is that it'll never lose a runner! Plus you've got a lamping/ferreting and gundog all in one. I know several people that use their lurchers in the beating line and a lot who shoot over their dogs too.