Long Nets

Karl Daw

yes.....but the best are handmade ;)

Not necessarily, they are nicer to handle, but not always the best catcher. As the post above, it depends who made them.

TC

don't talk shite,a hand made net is better than machine shite anyday :laugh:

yes.....but the best are handmade ;)

Not necessarily, they are nicer to handle, but not always the best catcher. As the post above, it depends who made them.

TC

don't talk shite,a hand made net is better than machine shite anyday :laugh:

If TC says that is true i personally would believe what he says, what he dosent know about nets isnt worth knowing. He is only ever a PM away, also always willing to share his knowledge and will explain things over and over until you understand what he is trying to tell you. A proper gent i would say.

ATB

• Like 1

i just think a handmade net would be better,i know you know your stuff,but surely handmade is better?

Right you think hand made is better and as a rule you would probably be right. But, as with every rule there are exceptions. Tell us what in your opinion makes a hand made net superior to sheet netting.

TC

Edited by tiercel

for a start you can double the twine,tangles bunnies better......

True in certain circumstances. But, at the same time it is also false in other circumstances. Come on now,to tell someone they are talking "shite" you must know more than that.

TC

Edited by tiercel

for a start you can double the twine,tangles bunnies better......

True in certain circumstances. But, at the same time it is also false in other circumstances. Come on now,to tell someone they are talking "shite" you must know more than that.

TC

I will try and explain. When a rabbit hits a net during the day it is usually travelling at speeds of 20mph+, when it does hit the net it stretches the netting taught. That taughtness makes the double stranded net exactly the same as a single stranded net. It is only when the net is relaxed that the two strands part and become effective at catching rabbits by the toes.

During the night, if the bant is done correctly, the rabbits should amble into the net. Hence why you slope the nets away from the oncoming rabbits. When you slope the net away from the oncoming rabbits, providing the net is not set too high, you should have about 40% of the net lying on the floor. This is where the double stranded net comes into it's own. The net that is lying on the floor should have very little tension on it allowing the strands to open up. Once the strands are open then they begin to work.

TC

A 4z nylon machine made net with 100% bagging, wraps up rabbits very well indeed. I have used one on clean sets for a few seasons and its killer ;-) just set about a foot to a foot and a half tall is ideal. I also use handmade nets and again they are superb tanglers of rabbits, it's all down to the bagging and setting.

The machine nets catch fine if they are made correctly like this one was and not by me ;)

imgp1835m.jpg

but so do the home made ones

imgp1907t.jpg

But I do find the home made ones very nice to handle plus you have the satisfaction side of things. So my favourite net is the home made because it feels nice and I made it so I am slightly biased even if it is far from perfectly made

But they both work fine

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2