Dogs Feet

Just another question on feet , my pup has had to be rested for a good while due to dodgy legs , and his feet are flat a fcuk , I'm going to start to walk and excercise him next week taking it slow , do you think they will come up much ? He is nearly 5 month ,bull grey sal grey cheers

Whilst I've not had personal experience of knuckling over, from the photos I've seen and people I've talked to, flat feet seem to be very common alongside this problem. This may be simply because there is a genetic defect somewhere, (actually, that's a bit of a silly thing to say because just about every illness or non contagious fault is genetically related: if you have the genes for cancer for example. An inherited predisposition to a certain problem) or it may be because the pup has had to use its feet in the wrong way due to the problems with its legs. Just guessing here.

Regular steady exercise: a slow trot on hard surface: is the best sort of work for flat feet, but they won't come up as you might want them to if they are genetically predisposed to being flat. Seen a fair number of genetically unsound feet in both bull and Saluki types.

Just another question on feet , my pup has had to be rested for a good while due to dodgy legs , and his feet are flat a fcuk , I'm going to start to walk and excercise him next week taking it slow , do you think they will come up much ? He is nearly 5 month ,bull grey sal grey cheers

I thought Bull types were prone to flat feet, judging by a lot of pictures I've seen on here anyway!

ive just brought a saluki colle greyhound off my mate n he says he hasent ran him much but his feet are a bit sore round his toe nails im just woundering wats best to get rid of this atb Top Lamper

Was he kept in dirty kennels? Piss and concrete can cause sore feet.

• Like 1

nothing much you can do with flat feet in the pup but walk it on the roads and see if they tighten up a bit a lot of the bull crosses are troubled with bad feet as for the dog with sore feet salt water after it as been walked and walked to toughen the feet back up hope you get the dogs sorted atb

• 2 weeks later...

Why rested?

Was he over-exercised?

Why are the legs dodgy - can you post a pic?

Skycat talks about a genetic defect and I think this is spot-on (I work with biomechanics in humans, not dogs, apart from my own - just so we're all sure). Like in the recent Olympics, some people are made to run, and so are some dogs. Even in the right mix of dogs some are way better than others - it's in the blood, or more correctly, it's in the genes.

If the dog doesn't conform to your ideal you have two choices, get rid, or work with what you have.

From personal experience working with what you have is very rewarding - but you may not end up with the fastest dog. But it may have other qualities you like which are hidden for the moment.

In the absence of more info I would do as you have suggested and take it nice and slowly. You may be suprised at the improvement.

One other thing - how's the dog's diet?

The right food, plenty of good quality meat (not tinned) and bones can make a big difference in a short time if the pup has been badly fed.

I watched a rescue whippet change from a spindly twisty-legged five-month pup into a perfectly normal dog (and very fast) in five months just with feeding the right food. The new owner shows her dogs, and although this dog will never show, even she was suprised at how well he had come on.

Edited by Taz-n-Lily