Keeping Ferrets Fit

with not having as many days out this year as id have liked im managing to get out few times a month but im wanting to know how the rest of you lot keep you stinkers fit when not hunting with them, i let mine out of the hutch most days for free running around the yard i have afew pipes about so they can run through but im wanting to know if there anything else that can be done maybe while in there hutch? or something i can build for em

mine live in a roomy court rather than a hutch with cat toys,tubes and a ferret wheel (not sure if they use it)

Do you ever find certain ferrets get more grub than the others in a court Barry?

yea, thats a draw back tho. you can send them to fat camp tho.....all alone on half rations in a spare cage lol also ive got a hob who i think got ill then bullied out of food when was on holiday, the father in law never noticed. currently ive got him in house and having to syringe feed him

I think courts are great for everything a ferret needs apart from feeding, i'd like to feed them in cages and let them out into a court the rest of the time, as it stands i keep mine in 8 large cages, with wire cages on the outside, it takes up more space than a court, but i can pair them up appetite wise during the working season, During summer they can all be big fatties for me!

I do the same as you twice a week minamin i let the out in yard to run about and exercise,but i get out at least once a week every week ferreting.I rotate which ones go out ferreting every week.I'm going to build a big court in shed during the summer for them just for exercising on days when i cant let them out or if its pissing rain as i dont like leaving in yard on their own for any length of time as theres always one who climbs out over the 9ft wall if im not watching.

i let my ferrets out in the run all day then lock them in the cages at night ,keeping the jills seperate when they start to come fertile , you will find the ferrets sleep most of the time anyhow ,i leave a cage open dureing the day & they are almost allways curled up together winter & summer ,but they have the option to run about if they choose

I have mine in a court with piping round, hammocks shelves ramps to climb. They dont play much in the winter but in the summer they have box full of soil or sand. Tray of water with bottle tops in it, they fish em out lol! If it snows enough i put a tray of snow in their runs they love it. Dont need to spend a fortune, hanging baskets, tubes from carpet shop. They love owt thats free and makes a noise lol. Even a paperbag and cardboard box's with holes in.