Wat age shud i start lamping wif my pup

I have a 5nearly 6munth old minshaw x collie grey bull grey n i am wundring wat age any of u lot wud start your dogs on the lamp i no [bANNED TEXT] u think they are ready try them but sum people will leave them til a certain age before doing anything with them and to early and you wil spoil them . any oppinions

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not at 6 months old, its all about the individual dog and when he is ready. i would leave it until about 12 months but only slip him on 1 or 2 a night on ones he has more of a chance of catching. then

getting them out young wont hurt it, get them used to fences,gates,ditches,cover and stock are all things they will see in the night. Let them have a look at older dog run the beam, just let it take i

i keep 2 runners an a terrier, any more an i wouldnt be doing my dogs justice, an its a full time job in itself getting enuff work for 2 fit dogs

I have a 5nearly 6munth old minshaw x collie grey bull grey n i am wundring wat age any of u lot wud start your dogs on the lamp i no [bANNED TEXT] u think they are ready try them but sum people will leave them til a certain age before doing anything with them and to early and you wil spoil them . any oppinions

not at 6 months old, its all about the individual dog and when he is ready. i would leave it until about 12 months but only slip him on 1 or 2 a night on ones he has more of a chance of catching. then see how he acts and see if he is ready if not hold it back for a few months. taking it out with a good lamping wont do it no harm either :thumbs:

• Like 2

Good oppinion bud thanks just i have heard of quite a few people starting ther dog too early and they end up yapping with frustration whilst on a course

yes mate it. it can happen when you start a dog too young and running alot of rabbits and it aint catching often then it begins to yap out of frustration and its not something you want. have you got anybody else with a lamping dog that you could take your pup out with so it can see what its all about and learn? if so it would be a big help to the pup. and as tempting as it can be to start your pup early i would hold it back until you think its ready.

seen many a dog spoilt by entering to early but never seen a dog spoilt by entering it abit later. well thats just my opinion.

Edited by Ray Mears

Good oppinion bud thanks just i have heard of quite a few people starting ther dog too early and they end up yapping with frustration whilst on a course

yes mate it. it can happen when you start a dog too young and running alot of rabbits and it aint catching often then it begins to yap out of frustration and its not something you want. have you got anybody else with a lamping dog that you could take your pup out with so it can see what its all about and learn? if so it would be a big help to the pup. and as tempting as it can be to start your pup earley i would hold it back until you think its ready.

seen many a dog spoilt by entering to earley but never seen a dog spoilt by entering in abit later. well thats just my opinion.

some good advice there for you johnjlb ,I totally agree with what Ray Mears has said mate good luck.

Yes ray mears that is gud advice cheers bud and i have a couple of pals wif adult dogs but some of them hold bad habits and i dont want her to take any of them on board so i wil probably be schooling her alone it might take longer but it shud hopefuly be rewarding

getting them out young wont hurt it, get them used to fences,gates,ditches,cover and stock are all things they will see in the night. Let them have a look at older dog run the beam, just let it take it in . So when you ready to give it its 1st rabbit say 6-8 months old, it (wont) be a shock to it, as it would have seen few been run and it field craft with the above will be in place. This i think is when leaving pups till 6- 9 months old, (before) they (even) get in a field, they never seen a rabbit or seen any fences at night, either could yap a bit, or run into fences+gates :yes: every thing is just a big learning curve when there pups, get them out as soon as there jabbed up, get it out where it will learn its job, not stuck in the garden or the local park for 1st 6 months of its life. :yes: Bryn had his 1st rabbit 5 months old in the lamp, and never looked back since :thumbs:

• Like 2

its all about what they see in there early life i have just started my pup on the lamp at 8 months makle sure they get easy runs for their first few and give them 2 or 3 runs if you take them out and once they have caught one call it a night for them for the first 4 or 5 times and slowly build from there but all depends on the dog my old lurcher couldnt do naff all work with her until she was a year old

ey up pal, little and often never over work a pup you will fcuk its joints and if not catching its mentality and keenness to course. im out every day with a 8 month old pup but il only slip him on easy stuff a few times a week, the aim is to encourage it not test it.

good luck

atb scotty

I've just brought my whippet on she is now 18 month she had her 1st at 5 n half months have always waited till 12 months but she showed so much heart so I let her would never let her go more than twice and there was not many times she blanked and is now killing every night do we all start walking at the same time no dogs come on faster than others you should be able to tell within the 1st couple off runs weather there ready or not