Fox Vs Shotgun..

So, i have this permission where i shoot Air rifle, but the owners have a fox problem, they asked if i could take care of it, anyway, after a little chat we decided the only way for ME to do it would be with the owners Shotty, as long as he is with me.. He's not keen on killing anything.

What i need to know, what range is effective for a humane kill? all i know atm is its a 12G, iv SEEN a cartridge, but iv not idea on what it was, i imagine the range depends a lot on what shot its firing..

Can someone give me an idea on which load for which range?? i really dont want to messing with the animal, just outright kill.. Of course...

Thanks guys..

Ps i AM looking into applying for FAC & SG. just need to understand what & where & Why of it all.. lol..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Considering your lack of experience I'd say get a BB load and keep the shot within 30m. A far better way of going about it would be to get someone who knows what they are doing to shoot it.

Sod it, get SG's and they'll kill almost anything out to 50 yards.

Hi fraggle I use exspress max game 50 gram BB shot. Use no tighter than 1/2 choke and 40 yards max. This load/choke will drop them in their tracks.

Thanks for that, i know HOW to shoot, i just need to find out BEFORE attempting it what the different ammo can do, once i know what shot he has i'll hopefully know what its effective range is ect.. i'll not do it before then, unless when im there its 20yds away!. ;-)

Thanks for that, i know HOW to shoot, i just need to find out BEFORE attempting it what the different ammo can do, once i know what shot he has i'll hopefully know what its effective range is ect.. i'll not do it before then, unless when im there its 20yds away!. ;-)

If you put some details up about the situation people might be able to advise you better on alternative approaches.

For instance is it a farm yard? stables? large city garden? What exactly is the reason for removing the problem fox? (I'm not trying to catch you out on ethics with this one, it's their fox to kill, but the reason might help with deciding the best approach, e.g chicken killer etc)

I'm sure you'll handle the gun fine, I wasn't trying to say you couldn't fella, just things don't always go to plan and an experienced fox shooter will be better placed to adapt to any unexpected occurrences.

Make you're first shot count but be ready for a follow up. :thumbs:

The land is 10 acres, they run a horse livery and HAD 30 chickens!! they only have 4 now, i take care of their Crow problem (They are also trying to get at the chickens!) and will potentially take care of the Fox one too, although i feel they would be better off sorting out the fencing as where theres one fox..

The land is failry flat but on the side of a spur, with a few fences to get in the way theres nothing much else to hinder any shots..

The Fox is fairly calm, it easily comes to within 30 yds when they are out and about and has even been seen playing with their DOGS!! one being a French Mastiff!!

As far as the shooting is conserned, iv already briefed the owner than he has to be present, and to have 3 or 4 cartridges with him as i want to have (and not need) a follow up shot just incase of wounding..

So, the range im looking at will be anything from 25-30 yards out to 80-100 yards sighting, im not looking to shoot out that far with a shotty of course, just thats the sort of distance we can see easily to.

So the best ranges for the different type of shot? is it a case of if its within 30yds you can hit it with any type? after 30 yards it has to be somehting specific?? that soret of thing..

Thanks so far guys.. as i said, i dont want to mess about, im keen to do the job but want to be on the ball.. if you were all to say a shottys not up for the job id bin it!.. but i know its fine, just need to familiarise myself with the ranges..

Right, sounds tame as hell! If it's gonna be a regular problem he might want to consider a cage trap by his chickens..... or a better dog :laugh: . Anyway, normal bird shot will drop a fox out to about 15-20 yards pretty consistently, but if you know you are after fox get a decent BB load that can drop em out to 40-45 but 30-35 is a safe bet. Check the cartridge length though, a lot of fox carts are magnum loads and may be too long to be safely shot in the gun. Also as has been mentioned, half choke is sufficient, any tighter and patterns can be blown, but as a follow up shot you shoot whatever you have.