Bit of plinking with a bonus pheasant

Start of a new year and i thought i would do a bit of calibration work with the panther.I have used daystate Li's with the panther but every so often would get a flier.So last week ordered some jsb 5.52 so i thought,when they arrived checked the tins and noticed they were 5.51,might as well give them a go in the back yard,only 18 mtr's but they were pellet on pellet at this range so looked promising.This morning set of with both the .177 wolf and the .22 panther to one of my farms.On arrival i pulled around to were the cattle get fed and spotted a nice cock pheasant stood in the field next to me.I have shot this farm for a long time now and i know the farmer owns the land and there is not a shoot near by ,so any pheasants are wild,i have also been told by the farmer if i ever fancy one for the pot i was welcome to do so.I expected it to do a runner but because i was still in the vehicle it just stood there.Got the wolf from the back because i had already zeroed the rifle,lowered the window and took aim at his head,he was no further than 30mtr's away,pulled the trigger and down it went,didn't no what had hit him,dinner sorted.I then parked up and started to calibrate the panther using the jsb pellets. I zeroed it at my preferred zero range of 30mtr's and it was pellet on pellet,put a coke bottle top up at 40 mtr's added 1 1/2 mildots hold over and it was spot on ,put a target up at 40 and got 5 shots pellet touching pellet.Put a target up at 50 mtr's needed 3 mildots hold over and the grouping was brilliant .So looks like ive found the right pellet for the rifle even if it was by mistake.Roll on the the end of the season so i can get on my main perm and try this combo on fur and feather.ATB STE.

http://youtu.be/POjeMDsA-UY

Edited by wedge2409
  • Like 2

Yes mate have been pellet testing and was getting frustrated as most pellets group well but with at least one flyer at least every mag. i tryed jsb 452 and 453 the usual suspects and anything i had from home in the way of pellets most being 452 and then after some head scratching and a few choice words i thought id give a tin of bismags i had with a 450 head and bingo no flyers and some fantastic groupings out to 50 yards. i brought some h&n ftt in 450 and the same. so set about zeroing and some range work out to 50 yards again and was more then happy pellet on pellet to 30 yards and one hole ragged groups at 50 yards. gotta say its a fine bit of kit. gonna get it out in the field next week at put it through it paces.

• Like 1