My new apprentice...

I've had some which settled almost immediately, and others which screamed blue murder for days and nights :blink::censored:

The trick is to feed him in there: feed him, take him straight out for a pee after being fed. Play with him until he's tired, pee or crap again: make sure he goes before you put him back in the crate again. Give him something to chew on: a bone he can't swallow or something else to occupy him. Then he'll sleep for a bit: you breathe a sigh of relief, then he wakes up again, you go through the same routine, watch him like a hawk, the moment he wakes, take him outside for a pee, before he ever starts screaming. Then put him straight back in again. Ignore him if he screams. The most you should ever do is growl nastily at him if he screams, but only if you are sure he isn't hungry or needs toilet.

It is just conditioning: some pups resist it more than others, and some take longer to learn that there is no point screaming in the crate. Yes, you will get it wrong sometimes, and he may pee in the crate: some pups seem to need to go every 5 minutes, not really, but it seems like that. If he pees in the crate, get him out, say nothing, clean it up, put pup back in. Only ever let him out if he is quiet for 3-4 minutes before you let him out. Seems like a load of hassle, but it does work. Thing is to be consistent. Everyone in the household needs to observe the same rules and routine. Pup should be ignored while it is in the crate at all times: don't even look at it, unless to growl savagely at it.

The only pups I've had which have absolutely refused to be crated are Saluki types :icon_eek::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

that's some of the best advice u can get I found having the crate in the other room or kitchen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gareth, your signature is crap.   It doesn't say what car you've got, or if you use quilted toilet paper or even what toothpaste you use ..........   Too vague!     Pup looks pretty though lol

Haha you are a twat. Lol.   To those that are interested, he is silent in crate now. Slept through the night. Crys when he needs to empty himself.   Can't moan for 2 days progress.

All the advice is paying off folks.

The constant screaming has turned into intermittent whimpering.

The saviour of the day...

Tesco lamb chops!!! Haha.

thats brilliant, im glad he is settling in! Heres hoping you get some decent sleep tonight! Atb.

• Like 1

All the advice is paying off folks.

The constant screaming has turned into intermittent whimpering.

The saviour of the day...

Tesco lamb chops!!! Haha.

Lamb chops, good luck cleaning that up lol. :)

Haha cheers folks.

Mate, I've seen that much piss and shit today that I'm past caring what comes out of his behind.

If I get 6 hours kip tonight I will be a happy man.

Gaz

It will get better fella, all be worth it, it's a good looking pup!

Silence is golden.

I'm in bed. The house is silent :-)

If only I had your home number ........... :laugh:

Ring ring .......... woof woof, cry cry ........... hahahaha

Haha you are a twat. Lol.

To those that are interested, he is silent in crate now. Slept through the night. Crys when he needs to empty himself.

Can't moan for 2 days progress.

• Like 2

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like the look on the lurchers face

( i cant move in case the little bugger awakes)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TUFFTY

I think that's exactly what she is thinking. Lol. The pup hasn't stopped crying from 5pm to now. Haha.

I forgot what puppy's were like!

Tell me about it mate. I have a new pup and she is the same. She's getting on with my other Lurcher well so I put her out in the kennel with her. Left her for a while but she was whining. Well, more like screaming. Then my other lurcher must of got pissed off because I heard a fight break out. So the pup was back in last night. In 5 mins and took a piss on the new rug!!!

Glad you made up your mind on a dog anyway. Nice looking pup :thumbs: