Pure Greyhounds in the field.

Maybe you should have a look at your land and where you want to be running your quarry.. Is it on the moors, flat land, arable, rocky.. All factors of what you are considering. Grey hound were being used on the big lands many years ago and some to good effect. However once different blood was introduced it slowly died away. The reason was that the greyhound bred to another breed was more durable, more robust and certainly had more stamina. They became tougher dogs, brainer to some exstent and could cope much better with different types of running ground. the deerhound was one of the 1st to take on longer, harder runs, then came the saluki blood. All making the lurcher a better dog to run than a greyhound.

Think about it seriously, dont just do it on a whim, or because you feel you want a line that you have designed yourself. You may have to go through many a greyhound to find the right one, with the right attitude and atributes which you want from your dogs... Hunting can be easy with the right dog in the right place, On the other hand it can be bloody aweful and down right off putting if your tools arent upto scratch...

Good luck in your choice, be wise. Russ.

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in the early 90s me ,my brother & all our pals were lurcher mad ,we ran a 24" collie/grey x beddy /whippet ,our palls all ran bigger dogs when we were out lamping our little dog hammerd theres rab

Why are you talkin bout whippets unless you mean them real racing whippets which if thats what you mean why in the f**k would you think that would make them less accident prone. Them little sumbitche

Is there a reason that you believe you have to have a "pure dog" in order to start breeding your own lurchers or longdogs yourself?

Do you reckon a greyhound with maybe a quarter whippet would make a differance to them been so accident prone if they were more agile? I have a little kelpie cross at the minute and he was easy to train but no world beater. As long as i can train the dog to my recall and there sociable id be pleased. I couldnt cope with an unsociable dog.

Why are you talkin bout whippets unless you mean them real racing whippets which if thats what you mean why in the f**k would you think that would make them less accident prone. Them little sumbitches can burn up the ground right now. If you mean them little roach backed blue bug eyed fuckers then you are a fool.

• Like 4

Do you reckon a greyhound with maybe a quarter whippet would make a differance to them been so accident prone if they were more agile? I have a little kelpie cross at the minute and he was easy to train but no world beater. As long as i can train the dog to my recall and there sociable id be pleased. I couldnt cope with an unsociable dog.

Why are you talkin bout whippets unless you mean them real racing whippets which if thats what you mean why in the f**k would you think that would make them less accident prone. Them little sumbitches can burn up the ground right now. If you mean them little roach backed blue bug eyed fuckers then you are a fool.

:laugh:

f**k me !! I heard you were thinking of putting a Whippet into your lines to give a bit speed and agression !! Have you never heard of the Whippets over here that take Fallow, Fox, Hare, etc ?? Get with the programme, Dan'll !!

Cheers.

As has been said before, why don't you look at a cross? Something like a 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey or 1/4 beddy x 3/4 grey would still give you plenty of height.

Just my opinion but you'd be better doing your research now and getting a type that you know is going to suit you rather than getting a greyhound because your not sure what else is about or what they're like :thumbs:

Hope you find what you want anyway mate :thumbs:

ATB

Sam

f**k me !! I heard you were thinking of putting a Whippet into your lines to give a bit speed and agression !! Have you never heard of the Whippets over here that take Fallow, Fox, Hare, etc ?? Get with the programme, Dan'll !!

Cheers.

Here we go......... come on lads. We all have a few cobwebs in our closet. Why not give the lad some slack and steer towards helping him out, with a few words of wisdom. The argument which is starting to boil has been had to many times.

Maybe this person has been misguided, you know how it is. Or may have seen a good greyhound work. He maybe just nieve towards the lurcher. Maybe if he saw a few different crosses work it would help him..Constructive critisium is whats needeed here... Not another whippet argument with even more bad language..

Russ.

Cheers.

Here we go......... come on lads. We all have a few cobwebs in our closet. Why not give the lad some slack and steer towards helping him out, with a few words of wisdom. The argument which is starting to boil has been had to many times.

Maybe this person has been misguided, you know how it is. Or may have seen a good greyhound work. He maybe just nieve towards the lurcher. Maybe if he saw a few different crosses work it would help him..Constructive critisium is whats needeed here... Not another whippet argument with even more bad language..

Russ.

Get a life mate !! If you had the slightest idea who I am, you would know that I'm a great supporter of Whippets; both Ped and Non-Ped !! My reply to Dan was a bit craic between mates !!

Cheers.

I know who you are and i know you love whipprets. I never doubted you, just didnt want the same thing being said over and over about whippets. I know you are a top expert. I also have chatted with you, i also know you hang about with your photograph mate, you know the g.....!

So please dont jump on my back, if you were only joking, then i apoligize. However many many others wouldnt know you were joking, especially the younger members of the site...

As for get a life...well i wish i could sit back and not have one, just for a day or two...

all the best in the new year pal....

Russ

I'm not an expert, (at dogs), and haven't seen my "photograph" mate for a few months; but "don't let the truth get in the way of a good dit", as some would say !! LOL !! If you know me, then please have the decency to tell me who you are, by PM, if neccassary, or in person, preferably. We could probably have a good craic about dogs and life in general !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Just get a good second cross out of the right stuff..plenty about!

have you thought about what you'l have to do..

IE.. find the right grey.. then something to cross it with, because you not gonna just chuck anything over or under it.. then you could take a chance and only keep one pup back.. but that would be silly.. to much risk.. so you going to need to keep few on, till 2/3yo then you'l have to cull hard!

It would be easier with a few mates

• Like 1

I meant i havespoken with you a a dog show, we were in a circle and ended up stood next to each other.. good luck, sorry if the post came across the wrong way...

Russ

No bother mate ! I'll talk about dogs and hunting all day !! If people believe me; great; if they don't... wel that's up to them !!

Cheers :thumbs:

By the way; which show was that; as I only go to the EDRD and The Yorkshire Game Fair these days.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

Am I the only one wondering why a newbie is thinking about starting his own line of lurchers?

Why not just concentrate on getting a dog that will suit what you want, and concentrate on enjoying your hunting and gaining experience with what you've got? You say you don't want/need a big dog, and yet you want a greyhound?? do you think they're small dogs???

Just get a lurcher and get out as much as you can, simple as that. Not sure what the motives are for starting your own line but put it on the backburner until seen and done ALOT more! :thumbs:

• Like 2

I meant i havespoken with you a a dog show, we were in a circle and ended up stood next to each other.. good luck, sorry if the post came across the wrong way...

Russ

how romantic......did your hands brush against each others and suddenly everything was moving in slow motion?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

• Like 3