Centrefire rifle won't Hold zero

Hi all. Looking for some advice

I got a browning Xbolt rifle and I put zeiss duralyt scope on it. Worked a treat!

One day I noticed the bases on gun were loose so I took scope off and tighten bases up went to put scope on , and i accidentally snapped the screw for the Warne mounts. They were quick release ones. So I went and got

The same ones but just not quick release.

And now when i zero it , it won't hold. First shot be bang on and rest will be high, low , left , right.

Just wondering if anyone could let me know if they had this problem

Before ?

Thanks

Is the first one on every time and then the other shots are off?

Did it ever happen before and is it the non fluted version?

The only reason I ask, is that I know of two people who have had the same rifle and the non fluted version through all shots off, after the first one. He ended up selling it recently. The fluted version is good for loads of rounds, all on zero.

Have you checked all rest of screws and that the barrel is still floating?

bit more info would be good mate,has the rifle got a moderator fitted?If so have you checked it make sure its not comming loose ect,have you tried another scope on it,could be a scope issue?work through each variable and eliminate them,try some shots without the moderator on,if it groups ok you know the problem,I would be tempted to beg,steal,borrow some different mounts,just to eliminate them,also,are you reloading for it or shooting factory ammo?

Yes it has a moderator. Everything tight

When put laser down , you tweak scope to the dot. You take laser out then out back in and it's out again same when fire shots

It's stainless steel, fluted , free floating barrel.

I dunno weather it could be dodgy mounts or scope is dodgy

Still don't understand exactly what you are using the laser for. They are not precision instruments and if the laser is not exactly true in the centre of the bore, each time you put it in, the dot maybe in a different position, and you will chase the error.

What happens when you completely forget about the laser and you zero conventionally carrying out 3 or 5 round groups and then adjusting until you are on the nail?

Well it wont bud,the lazer is just like a boresighter,just to get you roughly on target,it sounds like a scope/mounts issue,if you want to test the rifle,clamp it down,securely without the scope on,look down the bore and line that up with your target/backstop,then fire 5 rounds and see how she groups,if that is not possible,swap the scope and mounts,and try zeroing conventionaly,ie boresight/lazer alighn,then tweak it from there,obviously difficult to tell,without being there, but it is sounding like the scope or mounts mate,even more so as you say it was fine before,good luck let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

i tried a laser with a friend and it was useless. as said above, if it isnt exactly bang on then everytime you put it back in it will point somewhere different.

boresight to get on paper/target/whatever then use scope to adjust.

IMHO :)

I haven't tried that mate. I was told

The laser will do it accurately

Chuck away whatever laser/bore sighter you have.

Check everything is mounted tightly and put down a 3 shot live group and check results! :thumbs:

• Like 2