Most suitable for finding and flushing

I've always used jack russell terriers to find and flush rabbits to my lurchers. I usually work a mixture of woodland, open fields and bramble/hedgerows. The dogs do well to find one or two rabbits where I work them and have to work for a scent.

I've just lost one of my jack Russell's to the seasonal k9 disorder and my other is 9, so maybe in the next year or two I may be getting another dog and I was considering my options. I could get another jrt, but I know there is always the possibility of it going to ground which I don't want.

I'm sure either a springer or cocker would do the job I need, but if anybody could advise me on the differences on their work style and temperament etc, would you advise one other the other. I would be working it along side my lurcher as a little team.

Thanks

wuyung,

I don`t think the merits of either Spaniel breed will require deliberation for the task you require them for,they both quarter,find,sit on flush and retrieve or that`s how they should be trained !

unorganized chaos comes to mind !

Edited by camokev64

i have 2 springers, i also have a saluki/grey/whip i use my springer bitch to flush rabbits for my lurcher every other day, spingers are jack of all trades in my opinion, mine are not full time rabbiting dogs i have them sat in a hide on pigeon, crow and wildfowl, in the beating line and for picking up on shoots.

in terms of what would work for you, i use my spinger bitch to flush on similar ground for the same thing just for mooches after work and she works fantastic they have a great noes and will crash through the roughest cover without thinking and when trained right you will have great fun and a great companion.

hope that sheds some light on what you wanted to know

huntinggladjohn,

It must be a real test of your spaniels steadiness when your hunting on the rabbits,when your lurchers giving chase.

well done.

i use a 3/4 cocker 1/4 jack with lurchers and a harris hawk a little bit hard on the mouth apart from that carnt fult her

Well, that helps shed some light on it,cheers, I know either would do the job, but like lurcher work, most lurchers will catch a rabbit, but some guy's preference particular types.

So is there much difference in hunting style with regards to finding game.... Like I said they have to work to find a scent, not get bored too easily.

Is there much difference in their temperament......and how laid back are they when at home.

Are there particular strains which would be more suitable, I'm not up on if some are bred just mainly field trials or shoots etc.

What is a fair price. Sorry for what seem like basic questions, just doing my research.

Edited by wuyang

with spaniels it shouldnt matter what strain it is as long as its from working stock it will do anything ya want it to, as long as its trained to some kind of standard ether breeds will do the same job

in terms of hunting styles, they both can be wild when working lol, its not about them being trained up to the giles like ones the field trail dogs, i like a dog that will hunt off its own back not because its been told to.

with price i just had a litter and sold them for 300 with microchip tail dock worming, i wouldnt pay more than that even if there KC reg,

I've just got a springer x cocker pup out of workers for the same as you want. Flushing to my lurcher.

I paid £300. Look forward to bringing it on.

Atb. Gaz.

Fun times ahead. Looked at the pic earlier....I'm sure it will do you proud.

Keeping my options open at the minute......who knows what I will end with.