Advice on a first rifle

Hi,

So i'm looking for a rifle as close to the legal limit as possible with the goal of shooting rabbit, squirrel, wood pigeon etc. I've read a lot about the whole .177 vs .22 debate and am not too concerned about what caliber rifle I get as it will be my first and so I won't know what I'm missing. I'm more concerned that the rifle be well built, accurate, reliable and powerful.

My budget is £150-£200, I've made a list of rifles I've found looking around online I think are suitable. If anyone could tell me if any of them are far better/worse than any of the others or if there are better rifles in my price range that I've missed out, then that would be much appreciated:

Hammerli 550 .22 - £140

Crossman phantom .22 (includes 4x32 scope)- £160

Gamo Hunter 440 .22 - £160

Gamo Varmint Stalker .22 (includes 4x32 scope) - £170

Gamo Whisper IGT .22 - £170

Cometa 300 - £180

Crossman Optimus .22 (includes 4x32 scope)- £195

Webley Stingray II Air Rifle - £205

Norica Dragon Carbine (includes moderator and 3-9x40 scope) - £219

P.S: I quite like the idea of the gas ram mechanism in the gamo whisper, but i've heard that it's not very well made in cheaper models...

Thanks!

Had a look at the Webley Rebel and am not to keen on it. It looks a bit plasticy from the pictures, also it only has 10ft/lbs power, i'd like to get as close to 12 as possible. It is pretty cheap (£100), but I would rather pay a bit more to get a bit more quality. Is there any reason in particular you recommended giving it a look?

So choosing a gun is all about how accurate it is? Does anyone know how the Webley Rebel compares to the rifles I've listed in terms of accuracy?

Surely by now we've reached a point where air rifles are about as accurate as they can be? What factors do you guys use to choose between two airguns of equal accuracy?

to be honest none of them rifles are going to be capable of ranges more than 30 yards so caliber is and issue so id get .22 but if you look second hand you will get a quality weirauch for that amount or airarms tx200 at a push. go second hand and buy a quality springer with scope for under 200

What model Weirauch should I be looking for under £200? I've read that the HW99 is good, any others?

Also, i'm from London and all of these sales seem to be 100's of miles away so I'll have to factor petrol into the cost of buying anything. I'm a bit hesitant to hand over £200 over the internet with no guarantee of postage other than a strangers word, so would rather buy something face to face.

if you want a brand new rifle than your looking at the hw99 the best your going to get but i picked up my hw97k with a scope for £145. iv seen plenty of hw80s,95s,35,97 and 77 for under £200 so keep looking about. your not going to get the prettiest looking rifle or a next to new one but you will get a quality rifle

Having looked at your list Soop, I wouldn't waste a penny on any of them.

You want a rifle that is a joy to shoot with, not a frustrating junk heap that can't hit a barn door over 30 yards away. And that's before you'll need to trade it in to buy something better, not too long after you've bought it.

WEIHRAUCH and AIR ARMS springers are the best in the world, start with a look at these and make your choice.

It's one thing to set yourself a budget and all that. But what do you really want; save money or get yourself a genuine quality made and supremely accurate air rifle that will go on shooting superbly after this pile of shits' in need of replacing?

Be realistic. £200 is second hand money.

But it will buy you a far, far better rifle from Weihrauch or Air Arms than any of these other "plinkers" are at brand spanking new!

Pianoman

• Like 2

Having looked at your list Soop, I wouldn't waste a penny on any of them.

You want a rifle that is a joy to shoot with, not a frustrating junk heap that can't hit a barn door over 30 yards away. And that's before you'll need to trade it in to buy something better, not too long after you've bought it.

WEIHRAUCH and AIR ARMS springers are the best in the world, start with a look at these and make your choice.

It's one thing to set yourself a budget and all that. But what do you really want; save money or get yourself a genuine quality made and supremely accurate air rifle that will go on shooting superbly after this pile of shits' in need of replacing?

Be realistic. £200 is second hand money.

But it will buy you a far, far better rifle from Weihrauch or Air Arms than any of these other "plinkers" are at brand spanking new!

Pianoman

Thanks Pianoman, solid advice. I will scrap the thought of buying one 1st hand and keep looking on gunstar and guntrader. When buying a second hand rifle are there any particular questions I should ask or things to be looking for? Or is it pretty obvious by looking whether the rifle is in bad shape?

Thanks Soop.

Use your eyes and ears and your commonsense judgement.

If the external condition is rusty to the point of being pitted, tatty, knocked-about stock; it's still possible to find a beautifully sweet performance going on internally. Fortunately, Weihrauch and Air Arms build their rifles very well, inside as outside and the internals are pretty tough and easy to restore with the right tools and a bit of know-how. It is by no means rare to come across an HW80 for instance, that's had a heavy time of use in all weathers leaving it externally worn-looking. But it's sweet as a nut on the inside and shoots like a dream still! Plenty of that kind of know-how here among the lads like Marksman, DavyT63, zini, AndyFR1968, Buster. Archie The list of good helpful lads on this forum goes on!

There is no reason why a poor external condition means poor internal condition too.

Of course there will always be rough guns inside as well as outside. Not all alas, have had the good fortune to have been looked after by lads who know how to care for their rifles.

Cock the gun, not fully back to locking on the sear, but kept under spring tension and listen for "Graunching" or metal grinding noise. Does the barrel give a shudder as you cock the action? That's usually the spring worn out or broken and grinding on the cylinder inner face, damaging it, If these sounds are present walk away from it as there will be internal damage of some sort and the rifle may lose power irrevocably if the cylinder is deeply scarred and "railed" from continuous cocking with damaged springs or other broken internal workings.

There are some real bargains in great condition on the 2nd user market and you don't have to put up with a mis-used and abused junk.

Pianoman.

Edited by pianoman

Some great advice from Pianoman there, as a newbie my advice would be go for accuracy rather than power. its no use having a powerful rifle if you cannot hit anything.

Do what I did, join a club and practice. You will get coaching from qualified ATEO coaches and I have found that the members are happy to let you try their rifles.

I have used a HW97 and a TX200 at my club, they are both excellent rifles. Try and get a good second hand example of either.