collie x ? (breed comparison)

What would the main difference between a collie x greyhound and a collie x saluki. I'm looking for a dog that will turn hare but not be fast enough to catch it?

What i want to do is entirely legal but not something i would like to disclose on a open forum.

Read the hunting act.

There's one or two on here use saluki's and falcons for hare. Paul Sagar, (sadly deceased), used to do it; and I think Cocker has some experience of it. Surely it's all about training the dog, whatever cross, to work WITH the falcon ?? :thumbs:

Cheers.

I think like any animal its about rules and routines. I think if you can create respect from the dog then it is workable. I have a friend who worked salukis with his fal

con with great success and he said he thinks salukis are naturally respectful of falcons (they are the only dogs the arabs dont dislike) I know someone else who did this in very enclosed countryside with success too but it was by fault then intention he started doing it. I came on here because you guys know dogs better then falconers

How did the bloke who did it in very enclosed countryside manage it? What dog did he use? Surely that'd be the first place to start.

Very enclosed countryside isn't the best place to run a hare or fly a falcon, you'd never get the best out of either.

He had a full greyhound that was trained to run under his falcons on crow flights and sit next to them for protection aainst foxes and one day a hare got up and the dog carried on as if it was a crow flight. This greyhound has taken hundreds of foxes in the last two years it wasnt an accident.

What would the main difference between a collie x greyhound and a collie x saluki. I'm looking for a dog that will turn hare but not be fast enough to catch it?

What i want to do is entirely legal but not something i would like to disclose on a open forum.

Read the hunting act.

Read it, i have it here. What i want to do is legal and ive had this check by someone who is a solicitor,

Jakk

There's one or two on here use saluki's and falcons for hare. Paul Sagar, (sadly deceased), used to do it; and I think Cocker has some experience of it. Surely it's all about training the dog, whatever cross, to work WITH the falcon ?? :thumbs:

Cheers.

I think like any animal its about rules and routines. I think if you can create respect from the dog then it is workable. I have a friend who worked salukis with his fal

con with great success and he said he thinks salukis are naturally respectful of falcons (they are the only dogs the arabs dont dislike) I know someone else who did this in very enclosed countryside with success too but it was by fault then intention he started doing it. I came on here because you guys know dogs better then falconers

How did the bloke who did it in very enclosed countryside manage it? What dog did he use? Surely that'd be the first place to start.

Very enclosed countryside isn't the best place to run a hare or fly a falcon, you'd never get the best out of either.

He had a full greyhound that was trained to run under his falcons on crow flights and sit next to them for protection aainst foxes and one day a hare got up and the dog carried on as if it was a crow flight. This greyhound has taken hundreds of foxes in the last two years it wasnt an accident.

So the dog didn't course the hare, it ran under the bird? That wouldn't keep the hare moving though. Did the greyhound not put up rabbits and other game whilst running under the bird? Did the bird not put into anything that got up?

I hate crow flights in dense cover. I wouldn't be worried about foxes getting to my bird but 150 crows mobbing it to death!!

I wish you luck with your endeavour but I'd give it a lot of thought before you go ahead. A dog requires a bit more work than just being used to assist your bird. What bird do you fly?

If you've read the hunting act then I'd edit your post and remove the last line with regard to your mates greyhound. Lol!!

Cheers.

So the dog didn't course the hare, it ran under the bird? That wouldn't keep the hare moving though. Did the greyhound not put up rabbits and other game whilst running under the bird? Did the bird not put into anything that got up?

I hate crow flights in dense cover. I wouldn't be worried about foxes getting to my bird but 150 crows mobbing it to death!!

I wish you luck with your endeavour but I'd give it a lot of thought before you go ahead. A dog requires a bit more work than just being used to assist your bird. What bird do you fly?

If you've read the hunting act then I'd edit your post and remove the last line with regard to your mates greyhound. Lol!!

Cheers.

He moved to greece 2 years ago, all the foxes were takien in greece. I fly quite a bit my flying birds for 2013 will hopefully be a pure gyrkin, 5/8th gyr x saker and a peregrine.

Jakk