what makes a goodun ? digging only thread

this is somthing i been thinking about latley ,,, lets say you got a good finder, and it sticks with the quarry tll you get there evry time, and is close up or takes a hold when u drop in,, how do you mesure the ability of the dog dis regarding the latter comments ,, ive heard on here a few times '"he never had that extra gere hen we broke threw" but thats job done for me ime happy with that,, just wondering what do you lads expext from your dogs apart from finding and staying close,, its so easy to lable a dog a goodun or a bad un but how do you actually grade it ???? happy christmas

dog should get lifted when you get to him mate this is when most of the punishment is taken,

thats what i do but how do you grade them ? coz up untill you break threw you dont see nowt you can hear them and you can see how far away or close up the dog is to the quary when the light breakes into the hole witch is a big part of it but is ther anythiing else whats important ? Edited by coonboy

you will never ever keep every one happy so don't try as long as your happy with what you have thats all that matters :thumbs:

i no this and im 100 percemt beliver in they only have to please the owner but with me not being the sesond pro lol i keep thinking am i missing somthing

dog goes in-dog finds-drop 1 hole-break through-dog there quarry in front-dog lifted-quarry dispatched-jobs a good un.if you spend too much time listening to others,you will soon start to pick faults/think the dog is sub standard-always do your own thing,if the dog works and you get the job done then its a good un.imho :thumbs: theres always some c**t with something better-lol-stay true to yourself and what you believe in.atb bobby

• Like 3

well said bobby thanks lads so here is what ime thinking now if the dogs there when you break threw and dose exactly as bobby just said whats the diffrence between a good dog and a grate dog ,,,editid to say i got my own idears on this just want to see what other lads opinions are

Edited by coonboy
  • Like 1

well said bobby thanks lads so here is what ime thinking now if the dogs there when you break threw and dose exactly as bobby just said whats the diffrence between a good dog and a grate dog ,,,editid to say i got my own idears on this just want to see what other lads opinions are

one that does the job week in week out year in year out ;) a lot of so called great dogs pushing up roses before old age Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1