Air guns to be licenced in scotland.

It is at consultation stage, takes a little while to wage through various pages after the link on the BBC site to get to the actual consultation document, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00410460.pdf

I've only read the ministerial forward as I write this, reads very much like the dear minister wants everything to licensed as per SGC & FAC, but doesn't want to ban air guns, yeah right, make something hard enough to own and use and you have banned it in all but name.

What would happen if the owners of the estimated 1/2 million air guns (so ~10% of the Scottish population) turned round and put two fingers up at the government. They'd need a really big prison.

Reading the core principle (Page 7), they've already made their minds up how this is going to work and the consultation is just an attempt to make it look democratic and accountable.

Can you put that in english? :thumbs:

Reading the core principle (Page 7), they've already made their minds up how this is going to work and the consultation is just an attempt to make it look democratic and accountable.

Can you put that in english? :thumbs:

Or Scottish lol ;)

I'd soon demand that my local MP (or MSP if I were in Scotland) buy the gun off me for being such a plank and allowing the legislation in. Who'd want to throw a few hundred out of the window.

Just read paragraph 29. They want plinking to go away entirely and only allow target shooting at "licensed target shooting clubs", so that a couple of hundred quid per year just to shoot at paper and what about people who live in rural areas who might have a very long drive to a club (or some who might live on islands where it can be a 3 day round trip). Fortunately para 30 seems to stick up for the owners and suggests that 29 would be unworkable.

Oh, but we must remember, this is an idea from a bunch of people who think the UK is better off ripping itself to pieces.

Edited by Alan Clark
  • Like 2

They would be better targeting the real problem all the :censored: nedds and smackheads with the air riffles, rather than targeting all the responsible air riffle/pistol owners.We all pay enough taxes and cash to the government & a load of that goes into a budget to fixing what the dregs of society has caused.Now its more money for licences The be all & end all of it is the nedds & smackheads have cost us more in taxes to pay for the drain on the nhs & justice/court system and now in scotland may have cost us our sport.

Edited by malcy

Following my first post i would like to state as a responsible air riffle owner and hunter that i am all for air riffle/pistol security (use gun cabinet etc),and for some sort of register for safety reasons but licences u need to meet certain criteria ie safe storage, medical conditions/history ,age restrictions etc,but what about all the responsible shooters that will be excluded as might not fit this criteria,for instance the age restricted and the disabled shooters that enjoy this great sport so a lot of responsible air gunners will suffer under this proposed plan.I do not think the goverment have thought this through enough and how this will play out.

.I do not think the goverment have thought this through enough and how this will play out.

I do think the government have thought this through .they used the emotional response of the Scottish population to death or Andrew Morton and THE English telling them what to do , with there Scottish gun laws to get elected .Now the MacAskills of this world are on the political gravy train all is fine .What happens to air gun owners is not relevant .The fact that airguns in comparison with a lot of equipment and activities our masters allowed us ,the air gun gives no real problems .500,000 air guns in Scotland if MacAskill was to be believed it should be a blood bath .
  • Like 1