Got my Fenn's ready

Knight latched the trigger knotch, tossed the light chain, pulled out the light J hook, drilled the frame for a new J hook, 3 foot machine chain number 2 and added 3 swivels. Simmered in Lye and ready for a dye and wax job next weekend.

I also set a few up on drowning rigs. Dyed about 200 mink traps and getting ready to go through 200 body grippers. Snares I'll KO next week. After that it's get some more areas to trap.

Well what did you do today.

Knight latched the trigger knotch, tossed the light chain, pulled out the light J hook, drilled the frame for a new J hook, 3 foot machine chain number 2 and added 3 swivels. Simmered in Lye and ready for a dye and wax job next weekend.

NightRunner - I'd like to see pics of the mods you've done to the Fenn if you could post them up for me?

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter
:blink: Hang about; Nightlatching them I can see. But what's with the three foot chains and all the swivels, mate? Which Fenn's are ye talking about here? What do ye hope to catch in them? And why should a dead one require three swivels? :unsure:
:blink: Hang about; Nightlatching them I can see. But what's with the three foot chains and all the swivels, mate? Which Fenn's are ye talking about here? What do ye hope to catch in them? And why should a dead one require three swivels? :unsure:

I am going after them for mink some of the areas I trap no foot holds. The three foot of chain is to take mink down in deep water. Make a pocket and stake the trap out in deep water on an angle with the current, the chain adds weight. I'll take some pics in the next day or so.

Edited by NightRunner
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:laugh: Bit bloody harsh, Tomo! I can understand the termenology perfectly well myself. What still leaves me completely nonplussed though is the need to take what is, fundamentally, a killing trap and go to such lengths to make it a corpse 'drowning' set up :blink:

Sorry, NR; Could ye please explain ye thinking there mate? Just so I can get on with my life without for ever trying to work out this riddle ye've set here :hmm:

:laugh: Bit bloody harsh, Tomo! I can understand the termenology perfectly well myself. What still leaves me completely nonplussed though is the need to take what is, fundamentally, a killing trap and go to such lengths to make it a corpse 'drowning' set up :blink:

Sorry, NR; Could ye please explain ye thinking there mate? Just so I can get on with my life without for ever trying to work out this riddle ye've set here :hmm:

shitty , you should watch and listen ,especially with your record on mink catching :whistling::D all mink traps should be set with drowning wires/chains , cos even tho we try ,as we all know not every animal is caught correctly and killed outright , therefore its of benefit to add this wire /chain to ensure an animal is not sitting pretty in a trap stapled to a box, i set all my mink traps with wires to allow the mink to drop into deep water wether its dead in the trap or not, i even set rat traps in the same way on stream banks just to be certain of a swift end

these yanks are way ahead of us lads when it comes to trapping and snaring,this customising of traps and snares make them work better and faster so making better and more catches so give the man a chance, i,m learning off nightrunner all the time , he,s helping me out no end thru emails and photos, the lad knows what he,s talkng about B)

Guest Scuba1

@ Nightrunner .... are you planning on using the fenns on larger stuff then they where made for then?¿¿ Or why the modifications ¿¿?

atb

Michael

Moley you beat me to it ...thanks for the explanation :signthankspin:

Edited by Scuba1
@ Nightrunner .... are you planning on using the fenns on larger stuff then they where made for then?¿¿ Or why the modifications ¿¿?

atb

Michael

Moley you beat me to it ...thanks for the explanation :signthankspin:

no problem scuba, i told nightrunner he should put up posts explaining what he does to modify traps, snares etc , so if he,s given a chance, we can all learn summat

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Oh, right. With ye now, Moles; So it's 'belt and braces'? Fair do's :) One more, quite genuine question arising from that though ~ I mean, I really don't know the answer: Is it legal to attempt to drown a wild animal in uk? I know the WCA makes it an offence to use an automatic weapon against a hedgehog, or some such ludicrous thing. But it's been that long since I delved into the weirder aspects of that one, plus I've simply never wanted to drown anything. Just curious.

Anyway, regards the American Fur Trappers levels of skill compared to that of most of us? That's a comparison which has never, ever been lost on me, mate! My own first mentor was a very old man who'd been trapping from the time he could walk. It was second nature for him to be able to set a Gin Trap and catch a fox. Sounds like something any of us could do, were we allowed to - untill ye consider it, or read how those US boys go about it. Suddenly ye realise it's almost unthinkable the degree of art they have and how ridiculously pathetic our own skills must now have become by comparison, due to the fact that we've simply never lived to learn or practice them.

I think one simple sentance which I've never forgotten from a perfectly normal posting by one of their lads sums it all up. He was discussing his own technique and casually mentioned that; " I like to get my foxes by the right, front foot. " :icon_eek: He What?! And, when ye consider those boys use a Steel Trap for fox with barely three inches of jaw spread and deliberatly choose the tiniest of pans? That f*cking guy was perfectly accepting of his own ability to get a wild fox to place its one inch of right foot precisely on a one and a half inch disc of buried steel somewhere in the middle of a f*cking huge field! Just in f*cking credible!!!

How many of us could even consider hoping to set something the size of a thimble and state which damn foot we'd catch a squirrel by? Those guys make us look like a bunch of messers, mate. I've long recognised that. Sad too that the last few remnents of our own, home grown Real Trappers are largely just dying of old age as we speak :( People being taught by the Americans is our last hope, seems to me.

Guest Scuba1

You are spot on there ditch but I think, that the way things are developing in the way of trapping are also due to the rules and regulations put upon us by the EU and the zombies in Brussels as there is not a lot of choice in the methods one can employ for trapping here if one wants to stay t the right side of the law, plus we just do not have the species to trap as they have on the other side of the pond.

From a history point of view, traps have here on the continent and in the UK always been " poachers tools " and looked down upon by the upper class folks that could go out for a shoot.

Where I live now there are a lot of country people that have never seen a gin Fenn or HP trap and they make their own from waht they see in the hardware stores and and adapt, copy things as they go along. My neighbour asked me if i wanted him to make me some rabbit traps and I could then set them at his farm as well as he has loads of rabbits there to. I asked him how he made them and he came up with this ...... :hmm: :hmm: I put the international size converter on it ( Zippo) to give you an idea of that monstrous contraption. He just baits them with tomatoes and slaps then anywhere on his farm, no tunnel no nothing. He does not catch a lot wth it though ( thank good ) and I am trying to give it up as a bag job and come over with my traps.

What I am trying to say is, that the trappers in the UK are still a hell of a lot better then most people that I know on the continent.

As far as the Americans being our last hope ....... i think so to as all hope is lost in spain :cry: :cry:

ATB

Michael

post-6330-1183298772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scuba1