enfield chase

DIDO.1

Did anyone on here hunt with the enfield chase before the amalgamated? I spent quite a lot of time in their country and , well, it looked quite tight! roads everywhere and a tiny country. Always wondered what kind of sport they enjoyed

they were probably the first pack i went with, the country was tight and hounds were,nt good with deer, never the less they kept going, they did have some good meets,out tewin and bramfield, nynn park, symmonds hyde, they were close to me at the time and as a lad i could get to the meets, met some good hunting folk at the time, brocket park, knebworth park, at this time jack battersby would have been, kh, and raymond brookes ward hunted them, harry goddard was just before my time, it was all good fun for me at the time, dont know if they caught many foxes, the point to point was held on the ridgeway that was always a good day out, before this they were known as the hertfordshire and hounds were kennelled in hatfield, dont know how they ever kept going with the country been as tight as it was to much wire and all the roads, hatfield park was another nice place to hunt, have,nt been with them since they joined the cambridshire.

I met the Enfield chase hounds at Hatfield house game fair summer just gone Pete, they let them all in the main ring and let the public in to see em. Still definitely getting worked.

Where in Hatfield were they kennelled ?

im going back a fair bit, but they were at holwell court up from french horn lane, that in turn became the diary,its all been built on now, i could,nt tell you when they moved from there, i was at hatfield as a young un, and id get the bus or bike to the meets, panshanger park was anothe good place, we gave the antis a run for there money one day in there, they were plagued by them at the time, a nasty orriblle lot, one of the old fellas id go with was brian coleman, and old percy did terriers for them,i dont know if the old uns are still about, but they loved their hunting and i gained some good knowledge of the counrty with them.

cant beat it, the origainal country existed30 miles by 28, and ran into beds,and some was lent by the whaddon chase and the oakely, the hunt was founded by the marchioness of salisbury at hatfield house from about 1775, they were also kennelled at houghton regis .

the cambridge with enfield chace as they are known, dont seem to sharp from what ive heard, shame really the cambs have had their share of troubles, years ago i applied to go there, but changed my mind when the antis became very aggresive in their country and a lad died.

no i think they have allways been there, but as the universities got bigger the lacs recruited more for a pack lunch and a £10, i do know the cambs had them very bad, allways in the press, and i would have thought the huntsman at the time would have had his work cut out with them, i cant imagine how he coped, after the antis hung off the hound wagon and the young lad went under the wheels, the hounds still meet here pretty local to me, but they dont have any probs that i know of.

My girlfriend at the time was at the vet school near potters bar. I would sometimes have a drive out and just wondered what sport the local pack had. While stopping down there I planned to follow them but as she was a proper pain in the backside I never got chance. Traded her in so i'm off hunting today tho!

no i think they have allways been there, but as the universities got bigger the lacs recruited more for a pack lunch and a £10, i do know the cambs had them very bad, allways in the press, and i would have thought the huntsman at the time would have had his work cut out with them, i cant imagine how he coped, after the antis hung off the hound wagon and the young lad went under the wheels, the hounds still meet here pretty local to me, but they dont have any probs that i know of.

Was a young lad from a kids home taken out sabbing by a social worker 20 year ago.

• 5 years later...

I was lucky enough to hunt with them in 1950s as a child when Tim Muxworthy had them at Holwell Court farm and Harry Goddard lived in the lodge and was kennelman. So friendly and such fun. Mounted on small ponies we sometimes led liveries to and from the meet. Not always steady on deer. A classic memory was pack squeezing through Hatfield park railings and off. We got them back in the dark. We used to meet at North Mimms on A1M and frequently crossed the Kings X Cambridge line. No sabs in those days, just heavy Hertfordshire mud.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...