can anyone/everyone give me their opinions on this rifle as regards to foxing? its a remington model 700 .222. schmidt & bender 8x56 with a t8 moderator? is it any good, im wondering wether or not to keep it or sell and get something a little better, maybe a tikka t3? or apply for a bigger calibre! please help?! thanks

post-78492-0-76641100-1352982739_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't be my first choice for leaning out of a clients bedroom and shooting a fox in their back garden but, for what many seem to call a dedicated fox gun it will be fine!

What would be better about a Tikka and why would you want a bigger calibre?

It wouldn't be my first choice for leaning out of a clients bedroom and shooting a fox in their back garden but, for what many seem to call a dedicated fox gun it will be fine!

lol i have the .22lr for that, well i heard that the tikka t3 is lighter and more durable with synthetic stock, i thought of a larger calibre for hitting those more distant foxes, and may also be able to shoot the odd deer if being a 243?

22lr for fox. my FLO wasn't too happy about that.

i've the chance to pop one from 50-60 yards but decided against it (mostly as i'm a novice, wasn't certain i'd get a clean huname despatch and the repurcussions if from FLO if i dropped it)

yeah its conditioned for foxes and vermin on my certificate, well done for leaving it, if you arent sure dont shoot haha, ive been shooting foxes a long time and have seen a lot of people miss the vitals at that range with a .22lr and its not pretty, im new to lamping at night and i want the right kit.

lol i have the .22lr for that, well i heard that the tikka t3 is lighter and more durable with synthetic stock, i thought of a larger calibre for hitting those more distant foxes, and may also be able to shoot the odd deer if being a 243?

It's up to you and gets personal of course. This will take any fox at 200 yards or more with the right ammo. How distant were you thinking of? Tikka T3 Lite more durable :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: I wouldn't put money on that! If deer are coming into the equation then a deer legal rifle obviously makes sense, and a .243 can be an awsome fox tool, but it's still a lot more than most need! Your .222 is Small deer legal with the right ammo, and Roe in Scotland! :thumbs:

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and feel you have a real need for a Deer rifle I wouldn't bother changing! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Tim if you,ve been shooting fox for a long time why do you think that shooting them in the dark would be any different and require a different gun?

funny thing really I use a rifle every day for work have numerouse large calibres and yet still take the .222 everywhere only time anything bigger comes out is for deer.

Tim if you,ve been shooting fox for a long time why do you think that shooting them in the dark would be any different and require a different gun?

funny thing really I use a rifle every day for work have numerouse large calibres and yet still take the .222 everywhere only time anything bigger comes out is for deer.

well i find it more simple during the day as you dont get lampshy foxes, or you dont have the lamp waving around, it just seems that the fox is more wary in the dark? and ive only just started lamping, its probably just me lol. i like the .222 and would more than happily take a shot at a fox at 2-300 yards in still conditions, but thats just it. only in 'still' i never shoot at that range in windy conditions as the bullet is only light, this is where i think a .243 would come in, with the heavier bullet? what do you think?

It's up to you and gets personal of course. This will take any fox at 200 yards or more with the right ammo. How distant were you thinking of? Tikka T3 Lite more durable :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: I wouldn't put money on that! If deer are coming into the equation then a deer legal rifle obviously makes sense, and a .243 can be an awsome fox tool, but it's still a lot more than most need! Your .222 is Small deer legal with the right ammo, and Roe in Scotland! :thumbs:

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and feel you have a real need for a Deer rifle I wouldn't bother changing! :thumbs:

yeah i suppose, ive shot quite a lot of foxes at 200 or so yards, in still conditions butimnot confident in windy conditions as i want a clean instant kill. i know there is a lot of lamp shyand wary foxes on this particular land i have permission on, due to previous amateurs making a balls up, however ive managed to stop a few still at 2-300 yards. but even at this range they are wanting to run off. so this is why im thinking of larger calibre?

well i find it more simple during the day as you dont get lampshy foxes, or you dont have the lamp waving around, it just seems that the fox is more wary in the dark? and ive only just started lamping, its probably just me lol. i like the .222 and would more than happily take a shot at a fox at 2-300 yards in still conditions, but thats just it. only in 'still' i never shoot at that range in windy conditions as the bullet is only light, this is where i think a .243 would come in, with the heavier bullet? what do you think?

Aye thinking about it on windy nights I do pick up the 25-06 but .243 would be just as good :thumbs:

Its all a matter of getting out and shooting the calibre in the wind, be it a .22 lr to a .308 Wind plays an issue on all of them at their extended killing ranges,

its all a matter of keeping to one weight one brand and getting to know whats its doing down range, in still conditions as well as the breezy days,

it will also build your confidence in placing the shot on live quarry.

Snap.

"a lot of people miss the vitals at that range with a .22lr and its not pretty,"

Bit of a side issue, but if I can hit a bunny head at 50 yds why not shoot a fox the same way with a 22LR at the same range?

YOU can hit a rabbit head at 50 yds, thats YOU, other people cant. other people dont have that skill, if people dont know the limitations of a 22lr it can cause a fox a lot of suffering, just because you have the ability to shoot a rabbit head at 50 yards doesnt mean the next man can. Thats the issue! some people pick up a rifle and think they can just point and shoot. it doesnt work like that.

Mind you, if I rush the shot I can miss a rabbit head easily enough as well. I guess the thing is with centrefire there is more margin for error. Not claiming I know, not tried to shoot a fox yet.

personally i think the margin is similar for both, as regards to a 22lr and a centrefire, because with a 22lr you have a very light bullet, if it isnt placed in the exact spots on a fox it can cause suffering, so you need to know your limitations, its similar with small centrefires such as 222's as the bullet is still light but isnt affected as much untill at a longer distance. you also have room for little errors as a centrefire will cause more damage, its all about confidence in yourself at shooting at longer distances, me personally would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 50-60 with a 22lr, in still conditions, the same as i would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 2-300 yards with my .222 but there has to be no wind, there has been lots of times i have stopped myself from shooting at a fox at 200 yard that wont come in to a call, pure and simply because i dont feel confident enough that the bullet will hit where i want it to (due to the wind blowing the bullet slightly) because if it misses the vitals your causing unneccesary suffering.