My Bitch has injuried her inside left toe.. metacaple toe (V )

Dislocated end of August. She already has had middle right, left toe (IV) removed due to mutiple breaks.. Not full toe just end digit Flangie (spelling)

The toe was strapped and the bitch given limited exercise and after 6 weeks was looking great.. Upped the exercise and introduced bike work at a slow pace..

Begining of Nov I gave her a couple of runs on the feilds and she came back limping, so I have left her in the kennel and just limited her to garden for toileting. The toe remained inflamed and looked like a knock however remained intact..

Today its just snapped was at 90 degrees, dog was screamming its head off.. Its been given oral pain relief and anti inflamatories and toes be put back in place..

Should i strap again, seek further vet advice (my vets not running dog vet, and I have little faith in them) allow to heal by its self and limited exercise and movement (crate the dog), could this toe be removed?? and the dog only have two front toes ?? could the toe be pinned?? any other options to keep the dog in the running game?? or do I have to Cut my losses and retire the dog ??

Fairly pissed off and frustrasted :cray:

If i was in your situation i would try and find a decent running dog or greyhound vet..to try and get the toe pin fired..a mate of mine had a dog that was forever popping one of it's front toes out of the socket..after it was pin fired it never happened again and the dog went on to run many time's afterward's..getting the toe of and leaving two on one foot would be my last resort and more or less render the dog useless as it would put more pressure on the remaining two toe's and another break would more than likely happen..

If i was in your situation i would try and find a decent running dog or greyhound vet..to try and get the toe pin fired..a mate of mine had a dog that was forever popping one of it's front toes out of the socket..after it was pin fired it never happened again and the dog went on to run many time's afterward's..getting the toe of and leaving two on one foot would be my last resort and more or less render the dog useless as it would put more pressure on the remaining two toe's and another break would more than likely happen..

Pin firing? Is that where you use an irritant on the foot to increase healing? Or some sort of surgical pinning?

Some information B H.

http://greyhound-data.com/knowledge.php?b=3&note=619972

http://www.mikeguilliard.co.uk/id15.html

I am going to go to the Anti vet and she what they are saying.. Be worth a trip to stock up on meds and wormers..

To my knowledge there are no good vets in my county..

Will most vets pin fire ?? With having one toe off already is it a no brainer from the off ??

Will most vets pin fire ?? With having one toe off already is it a no brainer from the off ??

I think you will have to try and find a greyhound vet as most of the pet vet's will not do it and if it was my dog i would get it pin fired..you might have to travel but it would be better for the dog than getting the toe removed..

• Like 1

That is a 50/50 remedy Kev..i had a dog do three toes by 18mth old each time the nail was cut of and it never helped matter's..the dog had to be rehomed in the end through having shite feet..if i had knew about the pin firing at the time he may well of been with me now..

I don't want to piss on you dieing fire matey but them feet look femer...and if you got that toe off instead of trying to get it pin fired from a decent vet..your dog's runnin'g day's have ended..

• 4 weeks later...

hi [bANNED TEXT] jst readn ur post same thing happend me yesterday bt only on bk wit his 2 middle toes im jst wondern wud a pin in toe work wud they stay in.ive seen it wit dogs on ther frnt toes n dogs bein ok r is dis the end of his huntin days any help wud b [bANNED TEXT] many thanks and good luck on ur recovery

I am not sure bud..

Best seeing a pro for advice, mabie just knocked them up ??

My dogs finished with the running.With already having its middle toe off, there is no support for this weakened toe..

I was to hasty get that first toe off, would not do that again.

Hope your dog come good..

• Like 2

I was to hasty get that first toe off, would not do that again.

Hope your dog come good..

We all learn from our own and other folk's mistake's.. :thumbs: ..hope that nice looking bitch of your's enjoy's her retirement.. :yes: ..

• Like 1